Word Harvest - Print n' Play word puzzle game - FREE

SquareHeartSquareHeart Member, PRO Posts: 69

Hi everyone,

I mentioned in my, rather ropey interview, that I was releasing a pen and paper word game - Well I finally shuffled it out to the public...
www.word-harvest.com
from that site you can download the free PDF that includes the introductory puzzles and the play-as-you-go rules from there.

Would love to hear some feedback.
Thanks
Peter

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Intriguing! Can't wait to try it.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

First of all, the instructions are superb. It's easy to take something like that for granted but you obviously put a lot of thought into them. I've only played the game once so I may have more comments later but for now I enjoyed it and it mixes some familiar word games such as traditional word searches and Boggle-style anagram puzzles with a two-stage process that clearly sets you up for some serious strategizing. Well done!

The scoring seems a bit overly complex. I wanted to double-check that you divide by the number of circled letters without including squared letters... correct?

I scored 89 on the first puzzle. I imagine that's not particularly good. :wink:

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• SquareHeartSquareHeart Member, PRO Posts: 69

thanks for giving it a try tatiang -

Yeah the scoring calculation is a bit heavy - it's up to it's 5th iteration. But any thoughts I'd be interested in hearing. My original thoughts was this to be a iPhone game - so keep the scoring a little more deep than usual - and then rather liked what the scoring was doing to how one played the game (as Reiner Knizia says- 'scoring will drive player behaviour' - something like that).

The goal for the scoring was to make its fairly balanced across the 3 aspects of the game so:
    1) rewarded for good words
    2) rewarded for many words
    3) rewarded for efficient harvesting.

with the last 2 being dependant on the first. In a way it creates a cyclic thinking, which helps link the harvesting and constructing together. I understand the scoring is a bit beyond casual and have been considering a simplified scoring option - but have struggled to find a way to keep it balanced and the puzzles opaque enough be interesting.
    Will keep on twiddling the knobs.

As to your question - yes you only count the letters you have circled - not the 'squared letters' i.e the ones that the lines have crossed. consider each circling as an ACTION.

nice score - I reckon on your second attempt you should be able to hit above 110-120

• wordysmithwordysmith Member Posts: 1

As a matter of first importance, the directions are brilliant. It's anything but difficult to underestimate something to that effect however you clearly put a considerable measure of thought into them. I've just played the game once so I may have more comments later yet for the time being I delighted in it and it blends some well known word diversions, for example, conventional word pursuits and Boggle-style re-arranged word baffles with a two-organize handle that unmistakably sets you up for some genuine strategizing. Well done!

The scoring appears a bit excessively unpredictable. I needed to double-check that you isolate by the quantity of circled letters without including squared letters... correct?

anagram finder

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Going to close this one. Last response was more than 2 years ago. :)

This discussion has been closed.