Insane Images

BrundiBrundi Member Posts: 60

Hi, I had a post earlier about good images in game salad and you guys led me toward gimp and I have used that and it is very advanced program which makes it good. I have also used ink scape to make fairly great images and so for everything has worked out well. but for all the professional games out in the world I have noticed that there graphics are stunning. I was wondering if there were any programmes out there I have missed to help me make insanely good images. For anyone here who can make super well done images with excellent quality I would like to know exactly how you make them.

Thanks a bunch,

Brandon

Best Answer

• JodyMitomaJodyMitoma Posts: 307
    Accepted Answer

@Brundi said:
    Hi, I had a post earlier about good images in game salad and you guys led me toward gimp and I have used that and it is very advanced program which makes it good. I have also used ink scape to make fairly great images and so for everything has worked out well. but for all the professional games out in the world I have noticed that there graphics are stunning. I was wondering if there were any programmes out there I have missed to help me make insanely good images. For anyone here who can make super well done images with excellent quality I would like to know exactly how you make them.

Thanks a bunch,

Brandon

Sorry to say, my friend, but it is not so much the program that you use, but the user that is using the program. You get what I mean?

Chances are, you will not be good at everything, but you will be exceptional at something.

Before using GameSalad, I was attempting to learn Java from scratch. I found out that it is just not my thing. I've learned a lot (bought 2 giant books, and watched a lot of tutorials), but I've given up on learning, and seeked to GameSalad instead. However, with that being said, I've been pretty exceptional at graphic design for the past 10 years.

Anyway, check out YouTube for tutorials on how to become better at graphic design. I'm sure you'll figure something out! Good luck. :)

Answers

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

It's something you can Google quite easily. Gimp and Inkscape are FREE which makes them attractive but they are by no means the best software available for image creation. I'm not a graphic artist, but I think you'll find that professionals can do just about anything with any graphic software because of their skill level and experience while I might have the most expensive, most powerful software available and have trouble making a stick figure. So I'd focus more on the skills if I were you.

@SpriteAttack‌ has some wonderful tutorials here: http://2dgameartforprogrammers.blogspot.com.au

I'm sure you've heard of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. Those are the tools. If you want, try them out.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

Those insane Images get made with the same programmes we all use, even Inkscape. You just need to really get to know the programmes, how to combine features creatively, etc.

Youtube is full of tutorials on GIMP, Photoshop, Inkscape. Even searching for something specific like "glassy menu buttons" or "tilt-shift" or "grainy paper background".

But, ultimately you need to learn about colors, mood and composition. The tools are just as good as the effort you put in.

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990

Insane images are not about what tools you use. Pro tools are beneficial, but skill and experience is where insane images originate.

• BrundiBrundi Member Posts: 60

Wow thanks all you guys... I like these forums!

• joshiwujoshiwu Member Posts: 207

If you have an IPAD try Inkpad. its free no ads, vector art tool.