How to make a single jump start only?

michaeln93michaeln93 Member, PRO Posts: 68

I am trying to make a game where you tap the actor and have him jump into the middle of the screen where he will stay there on a platform, and if he doesn't make it to the platform he simply falls back down to the ground and tries again. The game will be a hold touch style after that so I only want him to jump once off the ground regardless if the player retouch again.

Comments

• TosanuTosanu Member, PRO Posts: 388

I recommend a Boolean. Mark it as Jumped or something similar. It will be marked as True when you jump, and false when you collide with a platform. Make the jump command so that you cannot jump unless it is false.

Will this work for what you are intending?

• michaeln93michaeln93 Member, PRO Posts: 68
    edited April 2014

@Tosanu said:
    I recommend a Boolean. Mark it as Jumped or something similar. It will be marked as True when you jump, and false when you collide with a platform. Make the jump command so that you cannot jump unless it is false.

I haven't tried it but that sounds about right.

• TosanuTosanu Member, PRO Posts: 388

Note that this can cause your character to refresh a jump by hitting the side of the platform, i actually altered it by making an invisible box actor constrained to the bottom of the player actor that extended about 2-4 pixels below the player, and put the collision true/false on THAT, in my own experience.

• AadeeAadee Member Posts: 24

@Tosanu said:

How do you do that? Is there some type of picture/video that could help me understand?

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793
    edited March 2020

@Aadee said:

@Tosanu said:

How do you do that? Is there some type of picture/video that could help me understand?

go to @jamie_c (jamie cross) website. he has a series of really good tutorials to make platformers.
    it’ll help you get your head around some other concepts of gs too.

also, if you look up gshelper on youtube, @tshirtbooth has a heap of good tutorial videos to explain logic concepts.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772