Touching screen with keyboard

andrewhnovak@gmail.comandrewhnovak@gmail.com Member, PRO Posts: 77
edited May 2014 in Working with GS (PC)

Hi,
I'm trying to make a game trailer, but I don't want the mouse to show up in the video with my screen recording software so I want to add a keyboard key as input for touching the screen so that the mouse won't been visible when recording. Can someone walk me through how to do this?
Thanks

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Are you needing to simulate touching the screen in certain areas, on specific actors, or just something along the line of When Mouse button is Down?

You can add a condition to your existing rule that says When actor receives event key [space], ... do whatever it normally does when clicked.

Just make sure to select ANY conditions are valid instead of ALL conditions are valid.

If you purchase a good screen recorder such as ScreenFlow, you can choose to hide the mouse cursor.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• andrewhnovak@gmail.comandrewhnovak@gmail.com Member, PRO Posts: 77
    edited May 2014

I thought I understood, but when I hit the space bar in my endless runner the character doesn't go up like it should. Can you please tell me what I did wrong. Also I would use screenflow, but it's only for mac and I'm running windows.

You posted in the Mac subforum. I'll move it to Windows/PC.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

The rule in your screenshot says If space key is down, do something but I can't tell what it is because that portion of the rule is hidden. Try adding a Log Debugging Statement to see if that rule is actually triggering when you either click the mouse or press the space key.

You're also constraining the actor's x and y positions to game attributes which I find strange (usually you constrain the game attributes to the actor's self x and y positions) but then I don't know how you have it all set up.

• andrewhnovak@gmail.comandrewhnovak@gmail.com Member, PRO Posts: 77
    edited May 2014

Actually I found a good software for windows to record my trailer that hides the cursor. It's called bandicam. Thanks for the help though.

You're welcome!

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

Touching the screen with a keyboard is kinda weird! ;)