NASTY BUG - All actor tags removed from scene!

JodyMitomaJodyMitoma Member Posts: 307
edited May 2014 in Working with GS (PC)

So I was fiddling around with my game, as always, working on scenes, etc. I've been spending days and days on my level 1 scene, and finally got it where I am happy.

I decide to test out the level in preview. Low and behold, my mainPlayer actor doesn't collide with the platforms of the level, and just falls to his death?!

Frustrated as HELL, I begin searching for what has changed.. Finally after messing with everything, I decide to insert a new "playform" actor in, and see if the actor hits THAT one. He does!

So, I begin searching some more, WHY THE HECK IS MY MAINPLAYER NOT HITTING THE OLD PLATFORMS!?...

and finally, after 10 minutes, I accidentally realise that the old platform doesn't have the "Platform" tag... So, I check the others... They don't either!! I check other actors within the scene... ALL ACTOR TAGS HAVE BEEN REMOVED!!!

What a freakin' disaster, as I've got a lot of actors in my level 1 scene, hahaha....

Please, do take note. This is a nasty, nasty bug. I doubt I hit specific keyboard keys to do some sort of "Remove all tags from scene" shortcut, haha. I just hope to god this doesn't happen again. It's the biggest waste of time, ever.

Comments

• MarsStudiosMarsStudios Member, PRO Posts: 40
    edited May 2014

I started using GameSalad with my Windows PC, but its so buggy things don't display correctly or saves fail and you have to end up restarting the whole project. After a few days I switch to the Mac and its 100% better...

• JodyMitomaJodyMitoma Member Posts: 307

I've never had a save fail, thank HEAVENS. But you are completely and utterly correct in stating that the Windows version of Creator is EXTREMELY buggy.

I must save for a Mac computer and go from there. One day... They aren't cheap. :/

• MarsStudiosMarsStudios Member, PRO Posts: 40

@JodyMitoma said:
    I've never had a save fail, thank HEAVENS. But you are completely and utterly correct in stating that the Windows version of Creator is EXTREMELY buggy.

I must save for a Mac computer and go from there. One day... They aren't cheap. :/

I would recommend making a back of your project as you work on it. As for your Tags missing this could also be an issue with it not saving correctly.

edited May 2014

@MarsStudio, yeah, you could be right - a save issue indeed.

I make a new save file every 3 or 4 hours of work that I do on my game. I realize that files do go corrupt. ;)

I think I may make a new save file ever 1 hour instead. Just in case.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

I'm from the old days of GS, so I habitually save every 5 minutes, and restart the program every 10-15 min.

@jonmulcahy said:
    I'm from the old days of GS, so I habitually save every 5 minutes, and restart the program every 10-15 min.

Oh heck, old days or not, even current-gen Windows Creator is too buggy not to save every 1 minute. lol. Almost every 5 or 10 changes that I make to my game, I will save it, and every hour, I will make a NEW save file.

I will also save EVERY time BEFORE I hit Preview.

I like your idea of restarting every 15 min. I should do this, too. But then again, GameSalad decides to restart (crash) on its own every 10 min, so I guess we're okay there. Haha...

This is on a quad-core i5 laptop with 6GB of ram. -_-

• crestwoodgamescrestwoodgames Member Posts: 191

I agree with @jonmulcahy‌ . I think I hit command-s(save) on my mac without even knowing it now. I also use dropbox to save different revisions of my files. If I do have a corruption, dropbox has a bit of version control. I can then go to the site and find the same file name with an earlier time stamp.