Lets be honest here for *CRASH* ...... a minute...

The amount of times the Windows Creator crashes is not feasible for me to cash out $300 a year for.

I hope they've got some nice fixes coming up for us Windows users in our next update - whenever that is. Seriously unbelievable.

Comments

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Member Posts: 523

I know it sucks, but just save often. And don't overwrite, but save separate versions. It's a good habit to get in to even if GS doesn't crash. I've noticed that it allows me to be more comfortable and experiment much more when I know I can go back to a stable version of my game with the click of a button.

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited May 2014

@JodyMitoma we have two version in the works

10.5 is only 5 bug fixes way form being out (with a save fix)

11.0 being worked on but is still a ways off (which will have every thing mac 11 has)

• JodyMitomaJodyMitoma Member Posts: 307

@Adrenaline, it's not the possibility of losing my work that's the problem here. I've come to realize that saving often is crucial at this point. I save every minute of development, and every single time before I press the Preview button.

The problem here is the time wasted in having to restart Creator due to it crashing, for no apparent reason at all. During an 8 hour day of working with GameSalad, it will crash on me at least 30 times. It's atrociously annoying, and all this without any explanation as to why it decided to crash. There is no pattern to its crashing whatsoever. One time I deleted an actor and it crashed. One time I tried to make my animation and it crashed. 20 times I hit Preview and it crashed. Etc, etc, etc.

@BlackCloakGS, thank you for that. I appreciate you letting me know. I had no idea there was a version of Windows coming out before the newest 11.0 version.

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

I agree that the crash rate is unexpectedly high. Though for me, the crashes seem to occur when assigning an attribute from the selection box thingy if I have a lot of commands visible and haven't saved in a while. It feels like a RAM issue, and I'm on WIndows 8.1 with 2GB, which is a bad setup to have. Win8.1 likes to 'optimize', which renders my machine un-responsive while it does it.

It's kind of disappointing to hear 11.0 is far away/isn't the next release. Judging by the Release Notes it's 2~3 months between stable release. So it would be close to the end of the year before we see 11.0 on PC.

End of the YEAR?! >.< That would be seriously crappy.
    Anyway, you're running a computer with Windows 8.1 and 2GB of RAM?! Yikes man... I'm running a 3 year old laptop with 6GB... I think it may be time for a RAM upgrade! ;) They sell computers with 32GB's RAM these days lol.

So, my GameSalad crashed about 20 times in less than an hour earlier this evening... It completely blew my mind. O.O

• TosanuTosanu Member, PRO Posts: 388

Wow, I do not have half that problem. Mine only crashes when the RAM gets too large, so hardly twice in a 8 hour day. am I just lucky with windows or is there another problem that im luckily avoiding?

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934

Oh back in the early days of mac we had crashes annoyingly often as well. you literally saved your work every 3-5 minutes because the creator crashed so often. He and we had to pay $99/year for the now free version and $1999 a year for the pro version. hang in there things will get better eventually. :)

• crestwoodgamescrestwoodgames Member Posts: 191

When I first started back in 2012 I used a mac mini. Maxed the ram in the thing and it worked great. You could easily pick up a mini a few years old for a couple hundred bucks.

@Tosanu said:
    Wow, I do not have half that problem. Mine only crashes when the RAM gets too large, so hardly twice in a 8 hour day. am I just lucky with windows or is there another problem that im luckily avoiding?

I'm using a quad-core i5 laptop with 6GB of RAM, and running Win 7. Mine is always, always crashing.

@tenrdrmer said:
    Oh back in the early days of mac we had crashes annoyingly often as well. you literally saved your work every 3-5 minutes because the creator crashed so often. He and we had to pay $99/year for the now free version and $1999 a year for the pro version. hang in there things will get better eventually. :)

$2k!!!! Wow! I'm very pleased with the $299 pricetag they have set now.

@crestwoodgames said:
    When I first started back in 2012 I used a mac mini. Maxed the ram in the thing and it worked great. You could easily pick up a mini a few years old for a couple hundred bucks.

Yep, that's the planz a cheap used Mac of some sort. It'll only be used to publish iOS games anyway.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Yeah it was just the same on the Mac and not that long ago. I still hit control S out of habit nearly every two minutes. Be patient they will get it worked out. But don't feel alone we mac users went through it as well and worse...lol

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    Yeah it was just the same on the Mac and not that long ago...

Yep! Now GameSalad Mac version is TWO steady release versions ahead of Windows!! >.<

@BlackCloakGS, how many bug fixes for Windows Creator 10.5 now? :D ;)

• Nabbo (ReflectiveByte)Nabbo (ReflectiveByte) Member Posts: 278

Well, my windows creator also crashes, but I have found a solution, just save and quit when the creator slows down. Once you reopen, it will work like a charm...

• Nabbo (ReflectiveByte)Nabbo (ReflectiveByte) Member Posts: 278

Well, I had very bad experience with windows creator on saving, especially when you quit and save (not save and quit). My two days of work was over written by corrupted save and I was really in trouble. Lucky, I used to back up my work on onedrive cloud, and was able to retrieve it...