App Store Rant.... Is it time to give up on any lasting game design morals?

13»

Comments

• daaddddaaddd Member Posts: 116

I think when a game like flappy bird is a hit, all the clones that have the same mechanics should give 15% profit to the original game, it would be more fair

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited May 2014

@Appz said:
    That's the point - it is complex - too complex.

I'm saying the opposite, I am saying what seems complex on paper is in fact pretty simple, all those things, fonts, design, gameplay, name, feel, look, colours, logo, characters ( and so on ) might seem like a long list of attributes we'd need to judge individually, but in reality people parse all that kind of stuff instinctively as a whole and often instantly, you can tell whether app A is a ripoff of app B with just a few seconds of gameplay.

It's little like walking, if I were to list everything involved . . . balancing your torso, judging distances, adjusting your gait by contracting and then releasing muscles just at the right time and in sequence, swinging your arms to counterbalance and stabilize, tracking the ground with your eyes, adjusting for terrain changes . . . and so on . . . it would sound like a very complex and involved task, whereas in reality you just get up and walk.

I'd say it's perfectly within Apple's capabilities to weed out blatant clones, they wouldn't need lengthy and technical investigations just a team of reviewers who knew the market - and could tell that DiamondRunner was a ripoff of DiamondRun by simply playing with it for 30 seconds.

@Appz said:
    To your other points regarding copying not driving innovation. . .

Like I say there's a spectrum of copying, from building on and improving the work of others and producing something original to ripping off an app that is selling well and doing little more than changing a few graphic elements and the title. The discussion (for me at least) is aimed at the latter, people seem to using the former to rationalise (or at least explain) the latter.

• AppzAppz Member, PRO Posts: 10

@socks - Okay I hear what you're saying. Apple should reject the "pixel for pixel with a different name" blatant clones. Got it.

@Appz said:
    socks - Okay I hear what you're saying. Apple should reject the "pixel for pixel with a different name" blatant clones. Got it.

[steals idea for game . . . . . BlatantClones™]

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989

@Socks said:
    [steals idea for game . . . . . BlatantClones™]

[Steals idea for game. . . . . 'Steals idea for game™']

edited May 2014

@StormyStudio said:
    [Steals idea for game. . . . . 'Steals idea for game™']

Damn ! It was right there in front of me and I couldn't see it ! Lol ! :D

The following titles are Copyright © Socks 2014:

Damn !™

It was right there in front of me and I couldn't see it !™

Lol !™

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited May 2014

@Socks said:
    Damn ! It was right there in front of me and I couldn't see it ! Lol ! :D

The following titles are Copyright © Socks 2014: Damn !™

It was right there in front of me and I couldn't see it !™
    Lol !™

@Braydon_SFX said:

I'll use that for the avatar, thanks for your input.