Intelligent A.I. Path Finding with GameSalad. Has anyone ever created an A* style path finder setup?

13»

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273

@StormyStudio‌ said:... Oh and why a storm trooper riding a Guinea pig?... why not?

Why not indeed.

That's pretty amazing man. So sheet you're done with that code, are you going to do something like Pac Man? Itd be cool to see the actor actually move with that shortest path to get to the goal.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

Awesome work indeed in this thread. And made doubly awesome by the inclusion of a guinea pig, a bearer of natures cutest chin.

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    edited May 2014

@Braydon_SFX‌

Pacman or something similar would be cool (REVENGE OF THE SUPER INTELLIGENT ZOMBIES). Maybe next year...

it won't be put to its best use for the game I'm making. It's not a massive command and conquer style game, nor is it a maze.

It's for my asynchronous multiplayer game I've got in the works.

I'm really only using it to make the game play interface as simple as possible.

They'll have a limited number of steps each turn in the game so they won't want to be wasting any steps.

The player can touch where they want the hero to walk without having to draw the path exactly or using any slightly frustrating on screen joystick controls.

-One click to choose the path.
    -Then it will display the path, highlighting how far they can get on that path with the number of steps they have available.
    - Then another click to confirm or cancel the route.

Hopefully it'll be a pretty intuitive way of moving the character.

It could also be used, to replay the moves of an opponent when a player goes to play their turn. Just by sending the grid points the opponent had started and arrived at.

Decided on a grid of 16 x 16 to use in my game.

I've added in the 'X's where any buildings/walls/obstacles will be.

and just pressed the big 'MAKE IT SO' button..

So it's just started working out the best path from each each possible grid point to every other possible grid point..

Quick bit of maths... I think it's going to take 42 hours to work out all the paths...

42 hours ?? ...

Fingers crossed, I don't shut my macbook... or forget to press the 'save to database' button at the end..

edited June 2014

Day two of processing all the paths... not half way yet...

(Screen grab taken as half the final path had been drawn.. it was finding a route more complicated than 4 steps in a row).

Slowly..slowly.. catchy monkey.

….and done…

Brilliant! Me wants!

• Conifer_AppsConifer_Apps Member Posts: 100

jaw drops mouth drooling

This feels like a time when one would say: "By Scott, he's done it!" Very cool.> @Braydon_SFX said:

Brilliant! Me wants!

That about sums it up!

• natzuurnatzuur Member Posts: 304

@StormyStudio Very very cool

Thanks
    @Braydon_SFX‌ , @Conifer_Apps‌ and @natzuur‌

It's taken a lot of work to get something working that looks so very simple...

... now to integrate it with my multiplayer setup before building the game around it.

edited July 2014

Decided to give the main element of this away for free for others to build something suitably cool with.

*I've not included the saving multiple paths to a table and then on to the server setup as that seems fairly unique to my own needs.

Video of it in action:

Download it here...

Also added it to the 'spare code' thread.

Enjoy.

Holy cheese, you're giving this away for free? You mad?!

Thanks! Time to pick through it and expand my knowledge!

edited July 2014

@Braydon_SFX said:
    ...You mad?!

Quite possibly...

Let me know what you think of it all,

Also if you do anything with it, I'd love to see what it gets used for.