Particle Arc

TosanuTosanu Member, PRO Posts: 388

I'm trying to make an arching water effect with particles. I cant use gravity because it would affect too many variables in the game, so is there another way to have the particles start going up and then arc downwards?

Comments

• TosanuTosanu Member, PRO Posts: 388

Basically, to add to this, is there a way to change direction or speed on the timer of the particles themselves rather than the emitter? since that would affect all drops uniformly? So far, ive had no luck, self.time has exactly the issue i just mentioned

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

It can't be done, once a particle is born it is 'dumb' and can only travel in straight line (unless effected by gravity).

This kind of thing is much easier to do with spawned actors.

• RainbrosRainbros Member Posts: 124

Yeah what @Socks said. The particle behavior kinda sucks at the moment unfortunately. Sufficient for some basic things, but for any advanced movement or effects you're gonna need to use spawned actors.

• TosanuTosanu Member, PRO Posts: 388

The solution i frankensteined together basically was to make two emitters, aim the second one to start at the end of the first one, and then randomize the angle of the first and the source point of the second to hide the obvious endpoint and also make a waterfalling effect. Probably not the most efficient, but it works.