iPhone OS4 capabilities question

design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
edited November -1 in iPhone and Android Publishing
I just installed the beta, and I like the folders really well. That's about all the cool I've been able to discover so far.

I thought that we could multitask with OS4, but do apps have to be written specifically to do that? ...or am I missing something. I notice when launching a link from my app, Safari opens with a neat little animated swing in front of my app motion, but when I close Safari, my app is closed as well.

That animation sure implies that my app is still open.

Comments

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Have you tried pausing yet?

(as in, double tap home button, open something else, then go back to your app?)

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    Ah, didn't know about that. Thanks QS.

But it just launches my game again, not going back into it.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    I have noticed that GS games just start from the beginning when 'multi-tasking', other apps i have used return to where they were before i left the app. Other things in 4.0, camera now zooms, you can put a character count on texts so you know when you go into the next message and also you can change your main wallpaper and lockscreen wallpaper, those and folders are pretty much everything.
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Also remember some features are 3GS and up. Are you using 3G or 3GS? Multitasking & BGS I know are 3GS.
    I've got a 3GS. So I guess the question is will it take a GS update before the multitasking will work with GameSalad games.
    Yeh would be awesome if they could make it so it when you went back in it continued where it left off. Im guessing its something to do with the game engine needing to load!
  • iDeveloperziDeveloperz Member Posts: 1,169
    The developer has to implement the code to enable multitasking.
  • stoneestonee Member Posts: 22
    One of the many new features provided to developers in iPhone OS 4 are new APIs that give developers full access to Video capture data. This could open the door to some interesting apps including Video Capture/Editing and more robust Augmented Reality apps when iPhone OS 4 finally becomes available to the public. The iPhone 4 Beta SDK, however, also reveals the ability to capture video at higher resolutions than the current standard 640×480 (“VGA”) resolution.
    more info: iphone os4
    http://www.ifunia.com/news/iphone-4-hd-will-record-1280x720-hd-video/
    So, if somebody at GS could give this question some thought... and maybe let us know if this is going to be possible.
    Yeh think we need an official reply on this
  • CoIinCoIin Member Posts: 197
    I know from using other tools that if the GS game was compiled again using SDK 4, then the pause/resume feature would work. Seeing as SDK 4 isn't out yet, it may be some time before GS start to give you back an app that is compiled using SDK 4.