Looking into Gamesalad, is this possible?

AesopWattAesopWatt Member Posts: 5

I'm currently working on a game and would like it to play similar to "Titan Souls" ( http://clawmark.itch.io/titan-souls ) in the style of movement, rolling, etc.

My question is: is this possible, and how good can the AI be in Gamesalad, seeing as this is pretty much going to be a Dark Souls in 2D, or play similar!

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

I'd say not terribly hard for someone VERY skilled in GameSalad. For the average person just trying out GameSalad, give it a year or more to get up to speed. Honestly, it's not hard to learn how to use Creator but that sort of sophisticated movement, camera zooming, and physics is complicated and takes many hours. I also don't know you... if this is your full-time job and you're very motivated I'm sure you could build it in less time.

As far as AI is concerned, it's not so much a question of which game engine you're using but more so a question of your expertise with the algorithms behind AI.

I like to tell people that if you can dream it, you can make it with GameSalad. With the exception perhaps of 3D engine-specific gaming, that's almost always true.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• AesopWattAesopWatt Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2014

@tatiang said:
    I'd say not terribly hard for someone VERY skilled in GameSalad. For the average person just trying out GameSalad, give it a year or more to get up to speed. Honestly, it's not hard to learn how to use Creator but that sort of sophisticated movement, camera zooming, and physics is complicated and takes many hours. I also don't know you... if this is your full-time job and you're very motivated I'm sure you could build it in less time.

As far as AI is concerned, it's not so much a question of which game engine you're using but more so a question of your expertise with the algorithms behind AI.

I like to tell people that if you can dream it, you can make it with GameSalad. With the exception perhaps of 3D engine-specific gaming, that's almost always true.

Would it be possible to get the movement as fluid? o:
    Though I must point out that, that game was made for the ludum dare in three days with flashpunk!

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Well, I have to admit I only played it for a minute and I didn't encounter any enemies so I'm not sure how the AI works -- but to a large extent that's beside the point -- but as far as movement and scrolling goes yes, I think so.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

edited June 2014

@tatiang said:
    Well, I have to admit I only played it for a minute and I didn't encounter any enemies so I'm not sure how the AI works -- but to a large extent that's beside the point -- but as far as movement and scrolling goes yes, I think so.

Haha, go straight left after you spawn and head into the temple, then hit the box with an arrow. ;)

It's a very nice boss AI.

I'm considering Construct 2, Unity Playmaker (which seems to complicated for me, sadly) and of course, gamesalad. What advantages does gamesalad have over the competition?

edit: Also, how far can puzzle elements for games looking to do something similar to zelda be taken?

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879
    edited June 2014

@AesopWatt‌ -- Look no further! This kind of game is easily done in GameSalad. Give it a few weeks to get used to thinking in GameSalad and you'll be able to create those game mechanics with ease. For example the 'AI' for both the box boss and the stone throw boss would take literally 5 GameSalad behaviors:

2 change attribute behaviors
    1 timer
    1 spawn behavior
    1 moveto behavior (or an interpolate if you prefer)

edited June 2014

@RThurman said:
    AesopWatt‌ -- Look no further! This kind of game is easily done in GameSalad. Give it a few weeks to get used to thinking in GameSalad and you'll be able to create those game mechanics with ease. For example the 'AI' for both the box boss and the stone throw boss would take literally 5 GameSalad behaviors:

2 change attribute behaviors
    1 timer
    1 spawn behavior
    1 moveto behavior (or an interpolate if you prefer)

Got it. Is there a behavior to make it so it tracks the player i.e. keeps attempting to hop on where the player stands for the stone throws?

Also; the sprite art is only limited by what animations I can draw, right? Hopefully there's no limitation that I haven't stumbled across. Considering buying pro for this at the time, seeing as no one from Construct 2 has replied to my thread..

The only thing that does make me sad is that there's no multiplayer in Gamesalad, though I understand. :)

• natzuurnatzuur Member Posts: 304

@Aesopwatt You can create a system for that, with 2 constrains you can track the X and Y of any actor. You can then check that position on another actor and write rules to react accordingly.

• natzuurnatzuur Member Posts: 304

Also this game could be made in Gs in a matter of days as well... if you know the tools. otherwise a 6 months to year estimate isn't too far off.

How does Gamesalad do on collision?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@AesopWatt said:
    How does Gamesalad do on collision?

When actor 1 'collides or overlaps' with actor 2 - do action . . .