Just started and wanted to make a game.- Need inspiration

ShadowGodShadowGod Member Posts: 3
edited June 2014 in Working with GS (PC)

Hey, I am ShadowGod, and I just recently joined you guys. I am new to this, but am very excited to learn how to make a game with your creator program. Now I am in school, and have got a project to do, and I chose to make a game.

My background:

I, as I recently mentioned, have a project, as of now, I am in the process of making an APP right now for gamers and naturally others to post their videos photos, etc. Epic moments. Now I also want to create a game too, since that will make it more exciting.

I have created this thread, and want it open. The purpose of this thread is to get inspired in what game I should make (Preferably a bird perspective.)

Everyone is welcome to post. I have got an idea on what to make. I'll be posting here if I need support. I just need some inspiration. :smiley: Thanks!

PS: Is it possible to make an integrated game. By that I mean can I create a game with your creator and integrate it into my app as a standalone? Not very important, but I want to know. If not that is fine.

Simplicity is key! Sorry if I sound rude. I really just want to get started with some inspiration. That is all! :wink:

Comments

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited June 2014

Hi @ShadowGod Welcome to GameSalad Creator and the Forums. :smile:

You'll find everyone most helpful and friendly here - any more questions or concerns about GSC just fire away...

GameSalad Creator is deceptively simple in lots of ways - there's hidden power... and like most other programs, you get out of it what you put in to it. And that takes time to learn the intricacies of the program...

The programming with Rules, behaviours and attributes, etc., can give quite sophisticated results and although there isn't any coding as such - the "lumps" of code ready-made for you to drag and drop – it does help to kickstart your programming if you know any other programming language, mainly BASIC.

The programming set-up is based on BASIC-type coding; but if you don't know any of that, no worries, you can still start from scratch from within GameSalad Creator after you've gone through some basic training.

The training I'd highly recommend you do before even attempting to create a game/app is:

1) The Manual http://gamesalad.com/manuals (there are also some templates here too)

and

2) The Cookbook Tutorials
    https://help.gamesalad.com/hc/en-us/categories/200134158/

Make sure you're signed in, then you'll earn points as you go through and finish each section (at least, it used to be that).

As for inspiration of what game to make, two things to say: try not to "run before you can walk" too much - this will only cause frustration and you'll get fed up with GSC (trust me on that!); and consider, when you want to make a game, how many different types there are...

Adventure, platform, puzzle, etc., etc., etc

Start by making simple games of the type you'd prefer to play - that way, you'll have more enthusiasm when making your own.

Finally to say, there's a ton and a half of helpful videos on all aspects of the GameSalad Creator from many experienced GameSalad Creator users - although I'd suggest again not to get too much into these at first - get your grounding with the Manual and Cookbook tutorials as your first stop.

Best of luck; there's a learning curve just like any other piece of software, keep at it and I'm sure it'll all click into place for you. :smile:

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• ShadowGodShadowGod Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2014

Thank you for such an amazing post. I'll take a look into the basics, since that will certainly help a lot. I am never going to underestimate the complexity of creating a game. I know. I'll keep it as simple and small as possible. For starters, starting with the behaviours and such. Thanks again! I'll ask for anything anytime, since I will without a doubt bump into obstacles. I'll push through with the help of you guys! :)

By the way, can I use a lot of math in this? How much math is involved in making a game? Because I really want to use math in my work. Since it is a requirement in my project. Like algebra geometry etc. ¨

I am on a Windows 7, so am I able to publish my work without a problem, seeing that I only have 1 week to make a game. It needs to be very simple.

I want to know how I Import a template into my "game." ;/

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

Hello...and welcome to GS land...

May I suggest checking out some of the free templates to may find. Look at the actors...see what code may have een used in the template and see what "code" was used and how it relates to the actor. You will start to learn what attributes or behaviors can be done.

There are many tutorials on youtube and inside the forums users have made showing in some cases...step by step processes to build a simple game. Others show more complicated features. This is how I have learned hiw to use GS...although a Pro Member....I have tons to learn.

I have however become fairly good at creating Certificates, App ID's, Provisioning Profiles, GameSalad Publishing and Signing as well as Registering Devices and AdHoc testing of apps...then finally Uploading for Distribution to the App Store.

You may know this already...that would be a great start. If hiwever you coukd use a refresher course...below is a link to my YouTube Playlist with tutorials for each of these tasks. Enjoy.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
  • ShadowGodShadowGod Member Posts: 3

Thanks to both of you. I am having trouble using the templates, and I am on Windows 7. I have no problem installing them, I just can't seem to load them into the creator program. Do I just drag and drop them into GS? I have tried that.