Sound Files- Selecting

TosanuTosanu Member, PRO Posts: 388

OK, I already saw in the forum that dynamically selecting sound files with an expression currently isn't possible. In that case, do you have a recommendation, in any way, of how to make an actor that can play one of a large series of voice files? I need to set up a series of triggers in my various levels that play voice, in order to express a narrative, but the idea of making a separate actor for each is not an appealing thought. Other than unlocking instances in the level, is there any other tricks to guide an actor to select the specific sound file needed at any point?

Comments

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited June 2014

Hi @Tosanu yes, it is annoying that we haven't got this feature, for certain... I do believe it's "on the cards" for GC in the future though (certainly for the Mac version -hopefully for PC version too)...

Some people have suggested using a Table for selection but that appears to me, at least, a bit long-winded... the workaround is long-winded enough, in my mind (although not too bad)...

Put the following into a blank actor at the side of the screen:

When Attribute PlaySound = 1
    Play Sound yourSound1

When Attribute PlaySound = 2
    Play Sound yourSound2

When Attribute PlaySound = 3
    Play Sound yourSound3

etc., It only takes a couple of mins to do, if you haven't got too many sounds to take into account.

P.S To the guy who I had a "difference of opinion" concerning wanting the ability to put an attribute in the Sound field of a Play Sound Behaviour... it was a year or two ago.... for some reason, I couldn't see it and I think I insisted it wasn't necessary... I must have had a bad day then or something.... :blush:
    So sorry, if you're reading this! You're perfectly right - it'd be very useful. :smile: : (For some things, I've got a memory like an elephant... :wink: )

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• TosanuTosanu Member, PRO Posts: 388

Yeah, thats about what im afraid of. Im still working with my artist on this, so between us theres some questions, but were talking voice clips over about 20 levels, with 1-2 per, so this is already a fairly large prospect..... What was the table option you suggested? I may have a large enough need to go on something clunkier if it will save me the brute force.