Creating An Attendance App

Hey guys, I love the table features in Gamesalad. I'm a Youth Services Librarian and I've been playing with Game salad for a while and I just thought of making an attendance app for my summer reading program participants.

It's a simple concept, but I'm not sure where to start when saving information that will save in the app using tables. I want to be able to:

1. (Scene 1)Sign up new kids for summer reading programs (adding a name into table)
  2. (Scene 2)During a Program I would like to print out in ipad the names of added kids so I can add +1 to their attendence
  3. (Scene 2)Add a plus one for each of the types of programs they go to (+1) for each type of program in a column.
  4. (Scene 3)A third screen to display all of the kids information

Does anyone have a simple way of being able to add new rows to a table and adding information that will save to the tables. I haven't found a good video for it yet.

Thanks in advance,

-Jeff:)

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Tables are in my opinion the most powerful feature of GameSalad. They are also one of the least well supported in terms of community tutorials. My guess is that the reason for this is that tables are amorphous. You can make just about anything with them so there's less impetus for people to create a specific video. I would point you to this thread, which includes table tutorials: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/63093/community-tutorials-by-braydon-sfx/p1.

What you're describing is not hard to do with GameSalad. You'll use a Keyboard Input for the student's name and then add a row to the end of the table to store that attribute in a table cell. You could add a button (actor) next to each displayed row that allows you to tap to increase the attendance count for that student.

The first step is to make a spreadsheet (e.g. in Excel) with rows and columns of sample data. You might even post a screenshot here so that people know exactly what you have in mind when helping you.

I'm a teacher and I've made a similar system for an educational app I'm designing. Let me know if I can help out further.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• joshiwujoshiwu Member Posts: 207

I don't know about rows for sure, but there is a command to duplicate a table! in game. I forget the command, and you may have to unlock an actor to get to it.
    but you put all the kids names in a blank tables and it can replicate once a day at midnight, using device clock.
    although game salad might automatically add infinite rows. idk.