Behaviors I'm trying to achieve for TCG

I'm trying to create a card game very similar to Triple Triad from Final Fantasy 8 or the Souls game on the google play market. Souls can be seen on the android marketplace here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.proceduralactivity.soulstcg&hl=en .. So I'm new to Gamesalad and I'm getting frustrated trying to figure out how to make this possible with the actors, attributes and behaviors. Can anyone help me get started with this project? I have the layout and display size all set up and I have actors without an image placed where any card can go ( player hand and play area ) but I'm not really sure how to accomplish this. The start of the game will have random cards given to the player hand, and I'm not sure how to make that possible either. The solution I have right now would have a lengthy list of game attributes that are changed by the cards and where they're played. I researched tables too and as you probably guessed, I'm clueless how to utilize that as well. I am a visionary person, an artist and I love solutions. But making my vision real has me scratching my head with Gamesalad. Thanks in advance for your time and feedback!

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited July 2014

Without knowing you and your skillset, it's hard to give advice at this point. Do you come to GameSalad with a professional programming background? Are you fairly competent when it comes to manipulating data sets including spreadsheets (aka tables)? Have you created a simple, basic game with GameSalad to get your feet wet and work through challenges that we all go through learning this tool?

I'm not asking you to answer every one of those questions but I would give different answers to someone based on what they said in response.

I've been using GameSalad for over two years and it would take me dozens of hours to recreate that type of game.

There are threads here on the forums related to tables, randomizing table data, dealing cards, etc. You can search the forums for those types of keywords or better yet start by Googling gamesalad random cards. Check both the web results, which are mostly here on the forums and the Videos tab, which includes tutorials.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• joshiwujoshiwu Member Posts: 207

the random function is not as random as itncould be, try applying multiple randoms like
    Card.Id = random 0-5 + random 0-5 + random 0-5
    which is 3 times more random then random 0-15

also , I wouldent start with a game type in mind, whach a couple tshirt booth videos and you will think of a game more at your level.

• seventhweapon@gmail.comseventhweapon@gmail.com Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2014

@tatiang said:
    Without knowing you and your skillset, it's hard to give advice at this point. Do you come to GameSalad with a professional programming background? Are you fairly competent when it comes to manipulating data sets including spreadsheets (aka tables)? Have you created a simple, basic game with GameSalad to get your feet wet and work through challenges that we all go through learning this tool?

I'm not asking you to answer every one of those questions but I would give different answers to someone based on what they said in response.

I've been using GameSalad for over two years and it would take me dozens of hours to recreate that type of game.

There are threads here on the forums related to tables, randomizing table data, dealing cards, etc. You can search the forums for those types of keywords or better yet start by Googling gamesalad random cards. Check both the web results, which are mostly here on the forums and the Videos tab, which includes tutorials.

I have no experience programming, I am fair at formulas and I am very tech savvy and comfortable with using computers. I am also an INTJ personality and I love the details and ogranizing structures.

• grishlockgrishlock Member, PRO Posts: 32

@joshiwu said:
    the random function is not as random as itncould be, try applying multiple randoms like
    Card.Id = random 0-5 + random 0-5 + random 0-5
    which is 3 times more random then random 0-15

If you sum like this, you will tend to get more numbers from the middle of the distribution. Like when you roll 1 die, you are equally likely to get any number from 1 to 6, but when you roll 2 dice, you are more likely to roll a 7 than to roll a 2 or 12.

@grishlock said:
    If you sum like this, you will tend to get more numbers from the middle of the distribution. Like when you roll 1 die, you are equally likely to get any number from 1 to 6, but when you roll 2 dice, you are more likely to roll a 7 than to roll a 2 or 12.

Ikr pretty genius eh?