iAds app rejection in universal build, but it is working, whats going on :(

just had this back from apple: "but" my iAds are working in adhoc fine, see attached screen shots of both iPhone and iPad, not sure whats going on, i published with the 10.4.1 build.. and I've not changed anything from my previous 2 games that are out and working fine..

from apple..
Reasons

Program License Agreement
PLA 3.3.12

We found your app uses the iOS Advertising Identifier but does not include ad functionality. This does not comply with the terms of the iOS Developer Program License Agreement, as required by the App Store Review Guidelines.

Specifically, section 3.3.12 of the iOS Developer Program License Agreement states:

"You and Your Applications (and any third party with whom you have contracted to serve advertising) may use the Advertising Identifier, and any information obtained through the use of the Advertising Identifier, only for the purpose of serving advertising. If a user resets the Advertising Identifier, then You agree not to combine, correlate, link or otherwise associate, either directly or indirectly, the prior Advertising Identifier and any derived information with the reset Advertising Identifier."

Note: iAd does not use the AdSupport framework, ASIdentifierManager, or the Advertising Identifier. Therefore they are not required for iAd implementations and should not be included in your app for iAd support.

If your app is serving ads, please:

• Ensure that you have tested your app on a device, not just the simulator, and that you have removed all previous versions of your app prior to testing

• Provide us the steps to locate ads in your app

If your app does not serve ads, please check your code - including any third-party libraries - to remove any instances of:

class: ASIdentifierManager
selector: advertisingIdentifier
framework: AdSupport.framework

If you are planning to incorporate ads in a future version, please remove the Advertising Identifier from your app until you have included ad functionality.

To help locate the Advertising Identifier, use the “nm” tool. For information on the “nm” tool, please see the nm man page.

If you do not have access to the libraries' source, you may be able to search the compiled binary using the "strings" or "otool" command line tools. The "strings" tool lists the methods that the library calls, and "otool -ov" will list the Objective-C class structures and their defined methods. These techniques can help you narrow down where the problematic code resides.

Comments

• AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474

I had this same rejection in a game I made in Unity. I had to remove a bunch of code from the actual Xcode project. I don't think that's possible with GS as it's done somewhere in space, lol. I would have thought this would have come up a lot if it's the same issue I had, though, as it would affect every single person with GS who uses iADs.

It also COULD be that you're not deactivating the iAD banner when there are no ads present. Basically you need to check if there are ads being supplied... if so, turn on the banner, if not, turn the banner off, or else the user will just see a white empty rectangle. Apple will reject for this.

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611
    edited July 2014

Yeah its strange as I've not changed anything from my other two games that use the same method, everything is as it is previously, i actually just think its the apple reviewer being lazy and not fully testing the add support, i only trigger them during gameplay, maybe they didn't go past the title screen!! who knows, just wondering if anyone else has this problem in the last month or so, seems a few iAds problems have been cropping up!

thanks for your feed back though @polygame

But when the game starts, do you check to see if iADs is receiving ads before displaying the banner? If you display it no matter what, your game will be rejected.

edited July 2014

Ah no I don't but haven't a clue how to check that, I thought it just never displayed a banner if none were being served, I've never seen this, no white banner is displayed in my other games when no adds are being served! It's just the game screen!

edited July 2014

Hang on! Is this rejection because I've ticked yes to "does my app use the advertising identifier!!" When readying my binary for upload!

This rejection from Apple state that iAds does not use the advertising identifier! Rite.. Silly me if so!

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

Yes @jay2dx‌ that is your issue. You dont need to select it for iADS.

edited July 2014

Ahh dam haha how stupid of me @gingagaming‌ , my last game whomp whomp I selected all of them and it must have just slipped through, When I released TAPPY toad the question didn't exist so must have been new to the reviewers, thanks man, much appreciated, will re up this bad boy tomorrow, grrr :)

We can close this thread if this is the case, thanks admins

edited July 2014

@jay2dx said:
    Hang on! Is this rejection because I've ticked yes to "does my app use the advertising identifier!!" When readying my binary for upload!

This rejection from Apple state that iAds does not use the advertising identifier! Rite.. Silly me if so!

Ah! Yup, that'll be it. Basically by not ticking that, I'm guessing it leaves out the code I had to manually delete :)

Also, as for checking if ads are being supplied, I'm guessing GS probably does that for you...

Hey all, Small update on this, so my game, EDM DROP was rejected because id clicked the add thing during app up load and apparently iAds doesn't use it!, but my game EDM ESCAPE was approved! id clicked the add stuff for that too, seems its slipped though maybe, still annoying to think that it would be fine with it ticked!! anyways all down to experience it seems!

Jay

• djdeedjdee Member Posts: 180

hey @jay2dx‌
    Am facing the same problem. Can u please tell me what exactly to do.

edited July 2014

do i have to resubmit my binary ??

Come on guys, is there no one who can answer this??

@djdee said:
    Come on guys, is there no one who can answer this??

not at 5:44am in the morning there isn't haha :)

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited July 2014

your game looks heavily inspired by bumpy ball :)

Have the same issue!
    I just think that are specially picky reviewers I shipped 10 apps the same way ticking

" Serve advertisements within the app"

AND

"Limit Ad Tracking setting in iOS"

this is the first time i serve the at at the bottom of the app.
    And it gets rejected twice same reason..

edited July 2014

Whats bumpy ball? @BigDave EDM DROP is basically a breakout clone to be honest, i just used the bit escape template but change a few things, i just didn't have time to add in the blocks to hit but their coming, also the paddle at the bottom changes shape and stuff, but didn't have time to finish that for this version, i just wanted to get it on the store, been learning tables so i can spawn pixel diamond images etc,, bit of a headache though, noting all the x's and y,s everything should spawn in, but it looks cool when working, i have them animating too and moving around.

but yeah the iAds thing is getting to a lot of people, its not like anyones making good money from iAds anyways! think I'm going to start trying out paid apps in a few months, when i have something worthy :)

Just played bumpy ball, see what you mean haha, mine plays a lot differently though I'd say, have you had a go, nice bouncyness of your ball though :)