GameSalad is acting really buggy?

well today in the afternoon it was working just fine. I changed the images of some actors and their sizes to make them smaller, then saved it and it worked just fine. Then a few minutes ago I changed the images and sizes of some other actors but when I was done and saved it, it took really long to save, so I clicked on save again and it said Game Saved. This appeared a little weird so I closed the program and opened it again, but this time when I opened it, it took unusually really long to start, and when it did it showed an error message saying Missing Image! and the address of the missing image. I clicked "ok" and it displayed the same message with a different address, and then again and again. It showed the message with about every single picture I have and also a few Missing Sound! messages. When I was done clicking "ok" with every single one, I realized GameSalad had deleted all of my actor pictures (which I didnt even ask for?). So I tried copying the ones that I had a backup for (not all of them, now I have to redo those images I didnt backup...) and it showed a few more images but still a lot of them are missing, and when I preview the game it takes really long to load. I press preview again and it goes to preview, but the preview is all black, it doesnt even show the few actors whose images I saved. This is really frustrating and confusing, it has never done anything like this and I have been using it for a long time now, and I would like a solution because I cannot just start from zero with all pictures and I cant even preview my own game now. I also noticed that the game oddly saved itself twice, when I go to the address where my game is saved, I go to the game's folder and then in the folder there's another game folder with the same info and folders as the first one.

Comments

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

It is a hard lesson to learn, with beta software you must constantly save and create new versions so you can go back to the last one. By doing this the most I'll loose is about 15 minutes work. I end up with over a hundred versions just for simple games.

I don't think anyone can help you with this unless you have published then you might be able to retrieve it from the publishing server.

• WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621

Test often, and Save often.....That is what I always say!!!

• IMakeGamesLikeThisIMakeGamesLikeThis Beaverton, OregonMember Posts: 64
    edited July 2014

STAB. Save, Test, Analyze, Backup. Just a little phrase I've come up with! Never forget to STAB your game often! : )

• firezombie444firezombie444 Member Posts: 49

Do you have any long scenes, I had a game where I couldn't do anything cause it kept crashing, I realized it was buggy because one of my scenes was 20,000 meters long.

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584

The Windows version is very buggy and how fast it becomes buggy depends on your powerful your system is. When I upgraded my RAM from 8 to 32GB GS ran well but constant loading/back to editior of the GS viewer bloats the GS memory.

It sounds like the last save you had lost lots of files. I only ever had this happen once and had to revert to a previous saved file ( I make 2 versions - one for working on new stuff and another back up, so if I dont like the changes saved, I can just switch to the back up.

Check you have enough disk space on your hard drive. GS will save to your USER/APPDATA/TEMP files (I think thats the path) so you may be able to find an older version in there instead of having to start from scratch.

If you feel that GS is slowing down, just save and STOP. Either restart your system or exit GS and start it again.

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

• krisalfenkrisalfen Member Posts: 2

I started using GS for windows yesterday, and the first thing that occured was me dragging an actor onto the stage and it completely disappeared. After a while I noticed that the actor did spawn on the stage but the coordinates of it in the top right corner wasn't what I dragged it to but rather x: 3048 y:128 and whenever I tried repeating it it would set either x or y to a ridiculously high random number, I now have to set the high coordinate in the top right corner to zero to see the actor in order to drag it to where I want. It only occurs when I drag the actor from the actorlist not when I move the actor. Anyone else have this problem or know how to solve it? It takes a lot of time since you do it often (not to mention the frustration level)

/Kristina

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@krisalfen, have a look here for your solution:

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/59247/windows-creator-first-stop-if-you-experience-unexpected-behaviours/p1

@ForumNinja‌, please consider making this sticky again once there is space, as at least every european developer has this problem when first starting.