Creating a Racing Game

3DMA3DMA Member, PRO Posts: 162

Hello together.

As i saw several Devs around here that publish the creation process during the actual creation of their game, i thought i open one here too.

I am making a Racing game, Top Down view.

The princip and concept is the same as for example Nitro Racer or GS Rally. In fact i used those templates a little bit to learn how to play with drive physics in GameSalad to be honest :p

As i am Graphic and 3D Designer, i have different expectations and ideas of how this game should look like.

I use my own 3D Models of Cars and other Stuff, make those Renderings usable for Gamesalad and it should work. First Tests show that i have to adjust the physics badly. But it´s a constant learning process. Here my first in Game Screen Shot.

Sorry for the Watermarks, but you know ;-)

I play with Layers and Layer animation / movings for Clouds or for example the Streetlights. I use the basic Track functionality structure of Nitro Racer and the Lap Time concept of GS racer...
The cars drive Physics are more or less an own experimentation... still in progress...

I use red filter that turn the display slightly red when the car hits an object and goes intenser with every time the car hits again... and disappears slowly after a second or two.

I use timer and black png to have a day / night cycle ... as soon as the night falls it goes darker during 5-10 seconds (slow darkening, or however you call it) and the car lights and streetlights go on. cars have break lights that turn on as soon as you break... and so on.... i have skit marks, moving vegetation,..... and a lot more, nearly too much to list...

right now i am doing the track layout creation for about 10-15 Tracks
Then i will have to spend a lot of time in designing and decorating the visible environment.

Still on the To Do List:

• Main Menu
  • Shop
  • Track Map
  • 3d Animations of Track intros (fly throughs or fly overs)
  • Weather System
  • Car Power Up System
  • Car modifications... (choose this set of wheels and you drift 75% less for example)
  • Car presentation animations
  • Facebook integration
  • Server Set up
  • ghost system (you can drive against yourself by choosing a previous race)

and the list goes on and on...

I will update this from time to time. But as this is some kind of "Side Project" as i still have my business to run, i´m not sure how long it´s gonna take.

My personal death line is by the end of September.

Comments