SHIFT_Art direction and character animation updates.

ZooGamingNZZooGamingNZ Member, PRO Posts: 15
edited August 2014 in Working with GS (PC)

Hello people just another short vid of recent work. Like the title suggests, the video is an art direction update which also includes animations for the main characters individual movements. Hope you enjoy!

Screenshot.

HD Video.

Comments

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584

Looking good. I've recently made changes to one of my games in terms of art direction. But moving from normal vector to pixel. #lotsofwork lol

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

pretty awesome :) im starting a platformer this week! exciting :) wondering where a good place would be for the platformer animation actions! ie left right idol, jump left jump right etc!

• ZooGamingNZZooGamingNZ Member, PRO Posts: 15

Nice man, good luck! you can find free source animation sprite sheets out there. Apart from that you might want to hire an artist.

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

yeah I can do all the art myself its no problem, just need example animations really! not done much 2D animation apart from idol suff to be honest, so just looking for jump, run,walk cycles etc!

• ZooGamingNZZooGamingNZ Member, PRO Posts: 15
    edited August 2014

Jay2dx no problem! There is an easy alternative outside of gaining a huge student loan from an animation diploma :smile: Just search 'animation cycles' through Google images. A tone of examples will pop up. Select a style you like. Once there import the image into you preferred digital art software. Position each frame on top of the previous in sequence using layers. Adobe Photoshop has a nice animation add on which is pretty straight forward to use. This will give you a solid guide to work off so you can create your own style and ideas. You could also look up sprite sheet set up for pixel animation, if this is the style you after. Sprite sheet animation is a really great place to start learning 2D animation, and it is a bunch of fun to work with! :smile: For more in-depth study there is the holly bible of animation, which every animation student has spent hours looking over. This is called 'The Animator's Survival Kit' it is a video series as well. Apart from that good old YouTube has endless 2D animation and sprite sheet set up tutorials. Hope this helps!?