Networking: printing documents

Hello,
do PRO Networking behaviors allow me to create simple text documents which can be then printed by a network's printer?
Thanks!

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

There might be a sophisticated way to pass the text to a print server but it's certainly not built-in to GameSalad.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• MccccccMcccccc Member Posts: 26

Thanks @tatiang!
    In this discussion (http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/71202/pro-networking-features#latest) I was asking the possibility to capture an image of our GameSalad scene instead of creating a real text document (it is possible to create a scene like a text page, simply showing objects that display text) and then send it to a network able to transform the image in pdf and then be printed.

@jonmulcahy suggested me an interesting idea: "you could send the markup of the image (image types and x/y coordinates) to a remote server, and that server could generate the image, convert to PDF if you wish and print it.". What do you think about that?

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

jonmulcahy suggested me an interesting idea: "you could send the markup of the image (image types and x/y coordinates) to a remote server, and that server could generate the image, convert to PDF if you wish and print it.". What do you think about that?

I think that @jonmulcahy is much wiser than I am about things like this. You spoke to the right person. ;)

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@tatiang said:
    I think that jonmulcahy is much wiser than I am about things like this. You spoke to the right person. ;)

I wouldn't go that far. a real php develioper could have put together what I did in an afternoon.

as far as printing an image, and I have no idea what you are thinking of, but based on your description of creating an image and printing it. your table would have to have an entry for each image on the screen, and it's x and y location. when you send it to be printed, your back end server could reproduce the image based on those values. If you don't know any php or asp or web server language, that could be very difficult to put together.

• MccccccMcccccc Member Posts: 26

Well, actually I don't know any php or asp or web server language.

My aim is to create an app to manage all the organizational and bureaucratic aspects of my family's farm: from planning the cultivation to billing and clients management, all in one friendly app. In fact I noticed an incredible waste of time and effort in inserting data more than once. A traditional billing management software doesn't allow other registrations about the farming process which are required in our case (organic farming).

The problem is: how do I print invoices and whatsoever other pages I would need to print?

I thought about taking the image (like a screenshot) as the simplest method, but probably there are better ones simply importing tables or something similar (working more on attributes than images).