What does a simple platformer need?

kasimirkasimir Member Posts: 23

I am making a platformer and was wondering what does it need to be really good.

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

Off the top of my head, I'd say rabbits. As many rabbits as you can fit in.

• stahboystahboy Member, PRO Posts: 150

Make it unique and fun to play!

• MarcMySaladMarcMySalad Member Posts: 158

@Armelline said:

:wink:

• kasimirkasimir Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2014

@Armelline said:

well what about crabs and penguins?

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@kasimir said:
    well what about crabs and penguins?

They're good too, but with rabbits you only need to put in 2 and soon your game will be filled with them.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@kasimir‌ When quoting a post, be sure to skip a line before adding your comment. Otherwise it looks like the original person added your comment. I fixed your post for you.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• kasimirkasimir Member Posts: 23

@tatiang said:
    kasimir‌ When quoting a post, be sure to skip a line before adding your comment. Otherwise it looks like the original person added your comment. I fixed your post for you.

thank you

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730

I would say pepper, add that.. and salt!

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

Platforms...

Seriously though...I think a good platform we would have several paths...not just left to right like Mario would do. Maybe up takes you to a key to get further in the game going right. A platformer/dungeon. Or one that starts platformer...turns to a jumper style game...then fall down style...just please lord don't have buttons to move left and right...give us a joystick.

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934

I would suggest playing some platform games that have been super popular and then add in your own little twist to what ever you learn from those games.

If people just flat knew what it needed besides what the existing games already had they wouldn't tell you. They would make it themselves.

@Armelline said:
    They're good too, but with rabbits you only need to put in 2 and soon your game will be filled with them.

You know that could be cool. The rabbits multiply as you go and they are the platforms. You could be a flea jumping from rabbit to rabbit. You could call it flappy flea. And then from there the clone possibilities are massive for having flappy flea jumping on all sorts of animal "platforms" from all around the world. My god man we have out next hit!!!

• KillerPenguinStudiosKillerPenguinStudios Member Posts: 1,291

Well first off to be a really good platformer you need platforms! Possibly EPIC platforms!

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990

Yeah, just not shoes. No platform shoes and you are good.

• MarcMySaladMarcMySalad Member Posts: 158

A simple way to find out what works or not is to actually play a couple of games in the genre.

• KillerPenguinStudiosKillerPenguinStudios Member Posts: 1,291

Go play Mario Bros on NES!