State of GameSalad on 8-20-2014

ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

Howdy again everyone! I've gathered some more updates for you since last weeks’ State of GameSalad post. Enjoy!

1. Public facing bug database! This is now available to everyone! This is the place you can go to see, vote on, and add to our list of bugs! Check out this post for more info: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/71628/announcing-bugs-gamesalad-com-gamesalad-s-new-bug-tracker#latest

2. Upcoming Arcade update! We’re hoping to get an update to our Arcade out soon that will feature a bigger play area as well as support for more resolutions.

3. Release 11 for Windows users. (This is the Windows version of the last big release Mac Creator got.) Not much to update here. Still steady as she goes.

4. Release 0.11.2. (The next of our planned releases for Mac Creator) Good progress is being made on this front. We've finished work on iOS 8 IAP support which will be included in this build. Some other things planned to be included in this build are compatibility with iOS 8 and Mac 10.10 (Yosemite).

5. New nightly build for Mac. We've got a list of issues stopping this from coming out. The list is also being looked at and actively worked on.

6. Release 0.12.0. (The first big release since 0.11.0. and planned to come out after release 0.11.2) Good work being done on this front as well. Some things that will be included when this release is out is our new image renderer and our first pass at facebook integration.

7. New marketplace. Not much to update here. Still good progress being made. Some of the features being added in the new marketplace are improved UI, new advanced search features, and improved vendor features!

8. Cross platform creator. Still great progress being made and still can’t tell you anything more about it :)

That’s all I got for you guys this week. More info coming next week!

Comments

• ycanycan Member, PRO Posts: 207

Will be "Google Play In App Purchases" enabled in 0.12.0 ?

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554
    edited August 2014

@ycan‌ If they don't come out in release 0.11.2 then they are planned to be in release 0.12.0 yep :)

• ycanycan Member, PRO Posts: 207
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

If your doing an Arcade update with bigger resolutions, does that mean that HTML5 publishing is still going to be tied to only publishing through GS Arcade... Or does it mean that you'll be adding the option of creating and publishing true standalone HTML5 games?

The current HTML5 builds, having to be published through GS Arcade is a massively handicapped system, and in a way is somewhat misleading... If your working on adding larger resolutions to the HTML5 based Arcade publishing, then surely, I'm assuming it makes sense to add a little extra code while your at it and finally make true HTML5 publishing a reality?

• EOSEOS Member Posts: 74

Upcoming Arcade update! We’re hoping to get an update to our Arcade out soon that will feature a bigger play area as well as support for more resolutions.

>

Been looking forward to this for a long time. Any chance Pro's will be able host their games outside of the arcade?

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Great update. Here's hoping 0.11.2 is ready for iOS 8 launch...

• gamestudentgamestudent Member Posts: 504

Woohoo!

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

Thanks for the update! Adding to what others have asked about HTML5 and Arcade, is there any chance it'll be possible for Pro users to make un-GS-branded HTML5 games that they could include on their website, for example?

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited August 2014

@EOS said:
    Been looking forward to this for a long time. Any chance Pro's will be able host their games outside of the arcade?

@Armelline said:
    is there any chance it'll be possible for Pro users to make un-GS-branded HTML5 games that they could include on their website, for example?

Ha, someone asked the question before me.

No metrics gathering and HTML5 exporting that's untethered to GameSalad's servers seems like it should be standard for GameSalad Pro subscribers.

Also, it seems that the roadmap hasn't been updated in a while...
    http://gamesalad.com/creator/roadmap

@Photics‌ I've been working on a draft for an updated roadmap and it's near completion so it'll be updated soon :)

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

Awesome progress gamesalad! @ForumNinja‌ whats going on with the AppBoy push service, haven't seen any updates lately, and its removed from the roadmap. Did I mis something?

@Approw‌ I've been informed that it's still on our roadmap, but we're just not sure when we'll get to it.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,059

Regarding HTML5 and Arcade:

This release of Arcade will NOT enable self hosted HTML5 games.

This IS using an updated code base that will make that feature easier to implement in the future. In the interest of streamlining, we've remove some features for the time being like favoriting and play counts. The focus was simplifying the interface and bringing it in line with our existing code base (and making the game play area BIGGER!)

In the future we'll also be adding full screen support and an adaptive mobile design.

We DO plan to support HTML5 self publishing, but there's no time frame yet. I will be working on it before most of the features I just mentioned. Except for full screen support. I'm working on that in between other projects as we speak and hope to have that out to you shortly after release.

Statements about when HTML5 self hosting will happen, in order of certainty:

It will happen.
    I'm confident it will happen before the end of the year.
    I'd like it to happen before the end of the quarter.

I hope that answers your questions!

Awesome @adent42, sounds very promising! Thanks for your hard work!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@adent42 sounds great !! :)

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@adent42‌ HTML5 self publishing would be fantastic. As a Web Developers since 1996 we have a long list of established clients whose sites we maintain and update. Many would jump at the opportunity to have a game on their site to increase visitor engagement. This could be a serious revenue booster... probably earn more than I do from apps! :D

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172

@ForumNinja said:
    Photics‌ I've been working on a draft for an updated roadmap and it's near completion so it'll be updated soon :)

Very good!

Hopefully that pesky metrics gathering goes away.

@adent42 said:
    We DO plan to support HTML5 self publishing, but there's no time frame yet. I will be working on it before most of the features I just mentioned. Except for full screen support. I'm working on that in between other projects as we speak and hope to have that out to you shortly after release.

Nice to see you again!

Do you mean Full Screen HTML5 games? If so, that's really good news!

Statements about when HTML5 self hosting will happen, in order of certainty:

It will happen.
    I'm confident it will happen before the end of the year.
    I'd like it to happen before the end of the quarter.

I hope that answers your questions!

Self-hosting HTML5 games with GameSalad, before the end of the year?
    That's awesome news!

• phamtasticphamtastic Member, PRO Posts: 354

HTML 5 SELF-PUBLISHING & FACEBOOK INTEGRATION before Xmas would be lovely

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

Great update....Any Chances of getting AdMob in Release 0.12.0.

• AngryBoiAngryBoi Member Posts: 586

Yes, any chances on Admob? But mostly, any chance on Google Play leaderboards?

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

@madhanlab said:
    Great update....Any Chances of getting AdMob in Release 0.12.0.

@madhanlab @MoneyBags this in not in the new bug database as an enhancement. If you enter it there people can vote for it otherwise the other enhancements will probably take precedence.

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

@adent42 Is there an option to some time in the future put a Steam wrapper on an HTML5 published project from GameSalad? Seems like a lot of devs are moving away from mobile into the arms of Steam to make money on their titles.

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@viking‌

One of the things we would like to make available as part of our commitment to bringing the PC SKU inline with the Mac in terms of feature parity is the ability to build a Windows native executable.

True Steam integration requires some other things and we're not sure where the bandwidth shakes out on those at this time, but the short-to-medium term goal is standalone EXE publishing which will open a lot more doors for self-publishing to be sure.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089

@dgackey said:
    viking‌

One of the things we would like to make available as part of our commitment to bringing the PC SKU inline with the Mac in terms of feature parity is the ability to build a Windows native executable.

True Steam integration requires some other things and we're not sure where the bandwidth shakes out on those at this time, but the short-to-medium term goal is standalone EXE publishing which will open a lot more doors for self-publishing to be sure.

Wow. I was waiting for this news for more than 3 years. Now I'll have a good mood, at least for a month. :)

• RSoftwareUKRSoftwareUK Member, PRO Posts: 44

I'm super excited for 0.12.0! Any idea on the timeframe for this update? I have a game scheduled for release on 25th November and Facebook integration and Google Play would be brilliant.

• BitvorkBitvork Member, PRO Posts: 119

It is time to start working hard... http://www.gameacademy.com/buildbox/

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@Bitvork, please stop feeding that marketing troll and his vapourware. He has pulled this stunt twice before in the past years. All it is is a handful of re skinnable templates that he sells for thousands.

edited August 2014

@Bitvork said:
    It is time to start working hard... http://www.gameacademy.com/buildbox/

No demo or way to try the software before paying the massive fee. - Red flag.

Extreme amounts of flash in the marketing materials. - Red flag.

No information about how complex logic would be handled. - Red flag.

Head of the company is a marketing expert, not a developer. - Red flag.

No sign of any copies being sent out for reviewers. - Red flag.

No sign of anyone who's even used it. - Red flag.

Tailored specifically (but not exclusively) to endless games. - Red flag.

They have a Flappy Bird game mode built in. - Red flag.

I could go on. There's some serious competition for GameSalad out there, but this isn't one of them. I'll be amazed if they've sold a single copy.

• Tiny_IdeasTiny_Ideas Member Posts: 326

Why go and learn a new software when GS is speeding ahead at this point of time with features, bug fixes and communication.

I was very impressed with their work in recent weeks that I went and bought a PRO license. I don't have any need for the features at this point of time. It was just my way of giving "a high five".

It's taken over three years to reach the stage that GS is moving and finally deserves my support. I spent so any months thinking of many reasons why GS wasn't good enough. But truth is how else can I make games.

Call it a mid life crisis or what you will but I felt it was time to put some money into the piggy bank rather than such negative feedback. I encourage everyone to do the same. It gives you benefits and shows your a serious developer.

That being said, if the GS Team doesn't add Joints by the end of the year I can't guarantee this good heart of mine will be around when renewal time comes.

:D I am joking of course.... Pixel collusion will do.

All the best and keep up the great work!

Jeromy