Special Edition Distribution

I am planning on taking a game I'm work on in GameSalad to Kickstarter. I want to make one of the rewards a special edition of the game. Is there any way to distribute this edition only to people who earned this reward on Kickstarter? This is for both iOS and Android. Thank you!

Comments

• Andrea_ComisiAndrea_Comisi ItalyMember Posts: 328

You can publish the game and download the ipa after you did that you must delete the game from the app store and the ipa to everyone you want

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

Another way could be to upload it under a slightly diff name and have a $10000 price tag. Then provide them with a redeem code to download for free.

@gingaming i don't think apple will approve a game that cost 10000€!

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342
    edited August 2014

I think the current limit is $999, if I'm not mistaken. But still, nobody would but it at that price.

Or if they did -- well, I think you wouldn't mind. ;)

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

You can also do a built in code/password system, I did this for my FootBag Fanatic game. Of course if someone cracks the game or reveals the codes, everyone will have it.

What is the link of yours gsme @bazookaTime ?

• UltimateJordsterUltimateJordster Member Posts: 19

@Andrea_Comisi‌ How would I do that exactly?

1) publish the ipa
    2)download the ipa from the appstore( via itunes)
    3)remove the game from the appstore(i don't know how to do that)
    4)send the ipa to whatever you want
    But i think the @gingagaming method is better because you can update it more easily

edited August 2014

@Andrea_Comisi said:
    gingaming i don't think apple will approve a game that cost 10000€!

Opps few too many zeros! @pHghost‌ is correct $999 is the top line. I think @BazookaTime‌ has the best option. Unless your happy to take 70% of $999 of mistaken mastercard™ sales...

@Andrea_Comisi‌ -- that wouldn't work. The IPA won't work on iDevices that aren't linked to an iTunes account that downloaded the IPA. If it was that easy to do this, people could easily pirate all apps.

Besides, with this solution, how would you push updates to the people with the special edition when necessary?

@phghost with the my method you can't update the app @gingagaming find the password is not too difficulty if you know how to seek it!

@Andrea_Comisi‌ I think what @UltimateJordster‌ wants doesnt need to protect homeland security. He just wants to give kickstarters something that cant be got elsewhere. Yeah sure it can be broken if someone really wants it, but so can microsoft and apple. Nothing is unhackable. If it made by a human, it can be cracked by a human.

@Andrea_Comisi‌ -- that was my point.

But the method you outline won't work anyway, unless you also give your backers your own iTunes account login details. ;)

Too bad GameSalad doesn't have iCloud access for game saves. That would have been an easy solution to the problem.

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

@Andrea_Comisi said:
    What is the link of yours gsme bazookaTime ?

Here is the link, the game is free and passwords can be put in to unlock new characters and bags.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/footbag-fanatic-sponsored/id680131197?mt=8&uo=4

edited August 2014

@UltimateJordster‌ -- just discovered another way, thanks to @BazookaTime!

Upload you Special Edition, and once it gets approved, don't publish it. To do that, when submitting for review, either choose the next day as the release date, or a date far in the future. Once the app is approved, it is just going to sit there, waiting for release.

At this point, you should be able to send out redeem codes to the people who got the special edition, and they will be able to download the game! Of course, this limits you to 100 downloads per update.