What size art and how to make app for all platforms?

Hi all,

I've spent a few days trying to get the answer myself but I'm still not sure on the best way to do this. Someone has mentioned a pack you can buy on the marketplace so that is my backup.

I've made my game on the iPhone landscape setting on my windows PC and am ready to add the art. What size should I be making to cater for all platforms? And do I need to be aware of anything regarding positioning and wraps etc?

Thank you for your time answering this, looking forward to progressing :)

Comments

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611
    edited August 2014

I always use iPad landscape or portrait and build as a universal, I never use images bigger the 512 I usually stick to well under 256 to be honest! Check out my games on the AppStore for examples, they are all iPad portrait search for

whomp whomp

Once you find that game you can find the others through the app listing

• gamestudentgamestudent Member Posts: 504

Do they scale down for other resolutions?

• BelwasBelwas Member Posts: 22

Oh you simply make it for iPad and it automatically adjusts for the rest? Perfect!

Your games are good! I'll rate them after this.

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

Hmmm. I've been trying to solve this issue ever since stretch was released. I've since come to the conclusion that the best universal size (in my opinion) is slightly longer iPad.

I now make a new game in iPad and then change the scene size from 1024 to 1150. Then I change the camera size to the same.

The reason I do this is because when "stretched" with the GS publishing feature it will only distort the image slighty for the iPad and slightly for the iPhone 5. iPhone 4 is almost bang on.
    Whereas if you built it for the iPad when stretch is used it distorts the width so bad it sometimes ruins the game on a iPhone5 and looks out of place.

I have today released a new game that demonstrates this perfectly as it's a bingo game with balls. Download the game below and put it on a iPad and also a i5. You will see only slight distortion. On a iPad the ball is slightly squashed one way and on the iPhone only slight squashed the OTHER way.

When I first built this game in the iPad portrait size it was unplayable on the iPhone5 as the ball was so squashed it looked terrible.

Anyhow here is the download link & while you are there don't forget to rate it! It's only been released today on google & amazon. It's under review on itunes so I can't provide the link for that yet.

Edit: you can't test on a iPad or iPhone 5 as it's not released. DOH! Test it on a Samsung Galaxy and a Samsung S4 then.... I'm sure you will understand my point here.

Link to google play....
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gingagaming.retrobingo

• Andrea_ComisiAndrea_Comisi ItalyMember Posts: 328

I never released a game until now( i think to release them in september...) but all my game are created in iphone legacy resolution and after when scaled i use letterbox mode or you can create other scene in the game ehere if the screen zize is greater than ... Change scene to resized scene