State of GameSalad on 9-10-2014

ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

Howdy again everyone! I’ve gathered some more updates for you since last weeks’ State of GameSalad post. Some of the release lingo is going to be changed starting this week but I’ll do my best to make sure it’s not too confusing :) Enjoy!

1. The terrible issue that happened to one of our members recently (essentially having their game copied and uploaded to the app store). This fix will be coming out with release 0.12.0, which is coming in the very near future! (A release candidate is expected to be out today :D)

2. Release 0.12.0! (Previously referred to as 0.11.2. The next of our planned releases for Mac Creator) I’ve been informed that we’re expecting to have a release candidate coming out for this today! I’ve also heard we’re hoping to have a soft release Monday, or at the latest it will have the same release day as iOS 8. One feature this release will have is in app purchases working for a lot of the larger platforms we support: iOS 8, Amazon, Google, etc. For more important information on the IAP changes check out this thread if you haven’t: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/72359/important-info-on-how-iaps-will-work-in-an-upcoming-release#Head

3. Release 12 for Windows users. (This is the Windows version of Mac creators’ release 0.12.0) We now have a couple developers working on this to get it out faster, and as you may have noticed by the changed title, we are skipping release 11 for windows and going ahead and working on getting it up to snuff with macs’ release 12. I expect much better progress with the extra hands working on it, and I also expect it to still be a ways out due to lots of fixes still needing to be made.

4. Release 0.13.0. (Previously referred to as release 0.12.0. The first big release since 0.11.0. and planned to come out after release 0.12.0) Still a lot of issues being looked at and good progress being made!

5. New nightly build for Mac. Still some issues that need fixing before this’ll be out. The one mentioned last week (memory leaks caused by using the change scene behavior) is one such issue that still needs to be resolved. Feel free to follow the status of that bug here: http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=110

6. New marketplace. Still some good progress being made! As for new news, I’ve heard that there’s going to be fractional star ratings! I.e. an item could have a total rating of 3.5 stars.

7. Cross platform creator. Still loads of great progress, sealed lips, and (this week), no mean pictures! ;)

That’s all for this week. More info coming at you guys next week!

Comments

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

Thanks for all of the hard work :)

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

No 0.12 RC today we will shoot for tomorrow.

• KennedyEKennedyE PH, NigeriaMember, PRO Posts: 34
    edited September 2014

@ForumNinja "Release 12 for Windows users. (This is the Windows version of Mac creators’ release 0.12.0) We now have a couple developers working on this to get it out faster, and as you may have noticed by the changed title, we are skipping release 11 for windows and going ahead and working on getting it up to snuff with macs’ release 12. I expect much better progress with the extra hands working on it, and I also expect it to still be a ways out due to lots of fixes still needing to be made."

I will be very glad to see Release 12 for Windows users as fast as possible. Ever since I bought the Pro Version, I could not do anything much with 0.10.5 because of its limitations as I am a Windows PC user, and I do not have mac computer.

I also want to introduce Gamesalad to schools, organizations and team of developoers in my country...

For now, everyday I come to the forum just to see whats going on and to watch out for more important features updates to the Windows Creator... I believe Gamsalad will have more Pro users worldwide if windows creator users are shown more love and updates are co-released with mac.

Just Patiently waiting for Release 12 for Windows users and more other features. Thanks for your effort and hard work!

Cheers

kennedy

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

PLEASE PLEASE get the memory leak issue fixed ASAP. I've put my game development on halt for several months because my game is crashing every few missions.

• iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648

@Hymloe said:
    PLEASE PLEASE get the memory leak issue fixed ASAP. I've put my game development on halt for several months because my game is crashing every few missions.

This. I completely agree, Salt & Pepper: A Physics Game has 200+ levels and even though each scene is a few MB... users crash after doing 15-25 levels in a gaming session... which is okay for the casual players since they do not play that many levels but for the hardcore players they will complain and they are the ones that like to rate.

edited September 2014

We have a possible fix in our nightly build for the memory leak issue. We have had one of our top engineers look into the issue and he fixed many of the leaks already.

Unfortunately due to the complexity of the fix, we could not pull it into this release (0.12 formally known as 11.2). We will have a nightly build out soon. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@BlackCloakGS said:
    No 0.12 RC today we will shoot for tomorrow.

A man true to his word. ;) Thank you good sir. I'd buy you a drink if I wasn't so far away.

• flameknight7flameknight7 Member, PRO Posts: 1

Still waiting on the next release for windows! I can't do anything further with the current state. I'm holding off development until the release update for windows.

• dvdkingdvdking Member Posts: 10

So until 12, windows users have their app code exposed?

@BlackCloakGS said:
    We have a possible fix in our nightly build for the memory leak issue. We have had one of our top engineers look into the issue and he fixed many of the leaks already.

Unfortunately due to the complexity of the fix, we could not pull it into this release (0.12 formally known as 11.2). We will have a nightly build out soon. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Awesome. If I load up the next version, and my game totally runs properly again, I am going to be so relieved! I'll look out for the next nightly build. Glad you put the big guns on the job, hopefully they've ironed out all the problems with regards to memory and crashing.

@BlackCloakGS‌ Has the Display Text bug been fixed, where it wasn't spacing text out properly from the right hand side where spaces had been added as padding (" ") ?

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=156

That one is causing me real problems.

(Works fine on the Creator Viewer on Mac, but when you run on an iOS device, the spaces are all gone, so text is not displayed correctly).

• POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599

@BlackCloakGS
    Any info about uploading games larger then 50mb to google play? using expansion files?

Roy.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@POM said:
    BlackCloakGS
    Any info about uploading games larger then 50mb to google play? using expansion files?

Roy.

Very good question that needs to be addressed promptly.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@POM said:
    BlackCloakGS

Roy.

submit a feature request!

• POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    edited September 2014

@jonmulcahy said:

submit a feature request!

Its submitted already, people just need to vote for it:
    http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=188

Roy.

• DeadlySeriousMediaDeadlySeriousMedia ArizonaMember Posts: 838

@BlackCloakGS‌ Are Google Play services ever going to be supported? It seems odd not to add in native Google Play services like leader boards and achievements...

@DeadlySeriousMedia‌ we don't have any thing planed for this year for Google Play leader boards or achievements however if there are enough votes in a feature request we would defiantly think about adding that.

• DeadlySeriousMediaDeadlySeriousMedia ArizonaMember Posts: 838

@BlackCloakGS‌ Thanks for the quick response. That's definitely helpful information.

for easy reference here is a list of all the feature request we have gotten so

I didn't get an answer to this one, and it is a major issue for my game, and used to work, and no longer does. Seems like an easy fix. Would have expected a fix weeks ago.

@BlackCloakGS‌ Has the Display Text bug been fixed, where it wasn't spacing text out properly from the right hand side where spaces had been added as padding (" ") ?

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=156

That one is causing me real problems.

(Works fine on the Creator Viewer on Mac, but when you run on an iOS device, the spaces are all gone, so text is not displayed correctly).

If anyone else would like to see this feature implemented, please please vote. I need it badly, for basically all games I'm working on.

205 - FEATURE REQUEST: Play Sound behaviour should support the use of Expressions to choose the sound name.

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=205

I want to be able to define the name of the sound to play using an expression (thus allowing me to choose sound names from a table, or selecting a random sound from a set of N, such as Footstep1, Footstep2, Footstep3...

...or concatenating a string such as Monster_Hurt_Goblin, or Monster_Die_Skeleton. Being able to use an expression to choose the sound name would open up worlds of possibilities and elegant implementation for sound.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Hymloe‌ Just voted for 156 & 206, but it took me forever to figure out how to find them and then how to vote!