Monthly (in Person and Online) GameSalad Meetup Tuesday October 7 at 7pm CST (12:00am GMT)

BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
edited October 2014 in Conferences and Events

Come learn about GameSalad and meet other GameSalad creators. Chat with some of the developers behind GameSalad, including GameSalad's own Jonathan Samn (better known to some of you as CodeMonkey), Tan Tran (a.k.a. adent42)

Topic: Alan Uthoff (BlackCloakGS) will be presenting How to debug your game and how to effectly report bugs.

join us in person or, join us online

Comments

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

I am still looking for presenters or topics for Octobers Meetup.

If any one is interested in presenting or has a topic to suggest let me know,

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

The open discussion at the end of the last meet up was nice to have. Not sure if its always like that since it was my first time attending.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• Ed_PerkinEd_Perkin Midlands,UKMember Posts: 346

Where is it ?

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited September 2014

Always look forward to it. I'll be there online too.

@Ed_-_Turret_Games‌ Just click the links in BlackCloakGS's post:

• sulexk@gmail.comsulexk@gmail.com Member, PRO Posts: 21

Topic of Interest: Incorporating different Ad platforms: Airpush is getting many nominations by forbes and others, and Startapp is really taking off. Gamesalad, please, you really need to be able to include these advertising platforms, this really is the icing on the cake!

I think this month talk will be about how to debug your game and how to effectly report bugs.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273

@BlackCloakGS said:
    how to effectively report bugs.

A very, very important topic and well worth the hour webinar.

• Ed_PerkinEd_Perkin Midlands,UKMember Posts: 346

is there any events ever in the uk?

edited October 2014

@Ed_-_Turret_Games‌ we have not done any thing yet. We had some UK user try to have a meetup (to user if it happened). If some one in the UK wants to start up/run a meetup in UK/Europe we at GameSalad would be happy to help in anyway we can.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@Braydon_SFX said:
    A very, very important topic and well worth the hour webinar.

Would be great if the recordings of these can be hosted prominently on the GS site somewhere so that more than just the few usual suspects get to view them.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@Hopscotch said:
    Would be great if the recordings of these can be hosted prominently on the GS site somewhere so that more than just the few usual suspects get to view them.

Agreed. I always seem to miss them - either I'm out, or I've fallen asleep, or I just forgotten (2am isn't a time I'm used to keeping appointments at). These seem to be a great source of information that only a tiny segment of the community currently sees.

We try to post them as soon as we can, but we don't have any one detected to uploaded them. All the past meet ups videos are on our youtube channel

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

I'm going to check it out online tonight. Already registered.

Just a reminder this is today.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

Will do my best to remember to be there at 1am :D

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Will try to make it as well, though I might need to get up early tomorrow, so no promises.

edited October 2014

Also bring your questions and poll question. I and the GS team will be answering any questions you have and at the end we will be having some fun answering poll questions.

Edit: Spread the word about the meetup we only have 10 registered attendees an I know we have more developers than that. :smiley:

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730
    edited October 2014

@BlackCloakGS said:
    Also bring your questions and poll question. I and the GS team will be answering any questions you have and at the end we will be having some fun answering poll questions.

Edit: Spread the word about the meetup we only have 10 registered attendees an I know we have more developers than that. :smiley:

I was beginning to think that this monthly meetup thing was some sort of secret society meeting for Americans only (really awkward time for people in other time zones that have a day job to attend to, we are not all young students that can spend most of our time as we want you know ;) ). Glad to see that you have put up videos now of some previous meet ups. Will be interesting to watch those and with hope that tonight's meeting video will be posted sooner rather than later. Good luck!

@JSproject sorry about the time I am not sure what to change it to. We can't have it during work hours over here (9am - 5pm) and we can't have it on the weekends.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    edited October 2014

I'm going to try make it for the last half(online). Looking forward to it!

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@BlackCloakGS‌ Another good meet-up, thanks.

Not sure how to stimulate interest from other members aside of sending PMs to those I've had some sort of dialogue with in the Forum.

Cool beans, now I have to get me some popcorn and then I'm set!

edited October 2014

I've now watched the first 20 min that deals with reporting bugs and I think you made that presentation very clear and with great advice. Let me add another perspective also though. If we as users report a bug that follow all your advice and the bug can reproduced easily by following our given instructions then we at least expect the bug to be confirmed by you.

Let's give you a clear example:
    In the thread below I reported a bug with clear instructions in regards to reproduce, the bug was then added as MAC-415 on the 4th of Aug by @BlackCloakGS (great).
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/488277#Comment_488277

When you opened up your new bug-reporting site it was said that all bugs would be transferred to that system. This did not seem to have happened for this specific bug (I searched for the bug but didn't find it) but OK then I thought, mistakes do happen. Since the bug is still not fixed in any GS version I reported it in your new system with even clearer instructions (after being notified by another GS user).

The bug in question is now in your new system here:
    http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=371

It has been in UNCONFIRMED states since it was reported there on the 4th of October (which just happens to be exactly 2 months after I first reported it).

Now I understand fully that you are a small team and that you are very busy and have to prioritize. Even if something can't be fixed directly then at least please at least confirm the issue and give some sort of expected time line for the fix.

This particular bug can be reproduced in 10 minutes or less by following the given instructions (and if you think that anything at all is unclear on that part then please let me know).

How motivating do you think it is to report bugs if the response is... nothing... ?

edited October 2014

@JSproject‌ let me look into it if many have fallen through the cracks when we moved the bugs over.

Edit: looks like MAC-415 did not make it in the move. I when back and found one of our developers let a comment that did not make it back to you.

I will add the comment to the bug and have qa retest . Thank you for bring this to my attention.

edited October 2014

@BlackCloakGS thanks for that, I read the comment and it looks like the QA person who tested have missed a very important part of the instruction (which I now added as a comment to your comment)

"Please make sure to test this on iPad or iPhone 5 which is how you see the bug, note that the bug is NOT reproducible on the creator on Mac. "

I will keep my eyes open for updates on that bug report and I will test it myself in the 0.12.9 RC once released and report back. If I can reproduce it still (which currently is easy) then I will bring in other people to test it also.

Also, in the thread I mentioned above the issue was also confirmed by @Hopscotch who after my instructions wrote "yes the background positioning does display this problem..".

I see that the bug is now in CONFIRMED status (great!) and that there is an update saying that QA has reproduced the issue in 0.12.9. The fix is set to be released in 0.13 I see, will be good to have it fixed eventually :)