Quantum Sheep presents 'Air Supply SOS (Save Our Sheep)' :)

Comments

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

This is so awesome. Glad to see someone who has labored for so long have all that work pay off!

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779
    edited October 2014

Thank you. How do you know 'El Chupacabra' isn't in the game, eh?*

*he isn't - unfortunately he was taken ill with food poisoning the week before he was >due to be put in. There are other bosses though :)

Perhaps he'll make an appearance in the sequel? ;)

If your game gets mad popular, imagine the army of clones that will rise from this. "Cheese Supply: Save my rats", "Milk Horder: Help the cows", "Litter Pile: Hamster Savior", I don't even need a time machine to see it now. :'( Well, clones are always cheap knock offs that can never match the original, since they won't have the amount of effort put into them. Well, you know you hit it big in the app industry when people send in the clones. :s How do you feel about clones? I don't know why people do it, I just know that they do. :|

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Franto said:
    If your game gets mad popular, imagine the army of clones that will rise from this. "Cheese Supply: Save my rats", "Milk Horder: Help the cows", "Litter Pile: Hamster Savior", I don't even need a time machine to see it now. :'( Well, clones are always cheap knock offs that can never match the original, since they won't have the amount of effort put into them. Well, you know you hit it big in the app industry when people send in the clones. :s How do you feel about clones? I don't know why people do it, I just know that they do. :|

Dolly the sheep ?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@JSproject said:
    what, when did you find out? I've always removed all dna traces and I have always had someone else park my Ferrari's for me and I live on the streets instead of in the castle so that nobody should know. Ok then, it's too late now so I guess that I have to admit it.. Luke.. ehr, I mean Socks, I'm your father!

If you are my father then that must mean QS is my mother !

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
  • FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779

@Socks LOL, Good one! :D

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

Nice to see you finally made it :)

Best of luck with sales.

Darren.

• LoadedLoaded Member Posts: 240

Great work @quantumsheep

Website » Twitter » Facebook » Loaded Arts - Fun for thumbs.

Developer Blog » 08/01/2015 - Week 72 – Apple, the great dictator…

Also, not having a go at @quantumsheep but I wish more successful indies would be more transparent about the monetary metrics.

I think it would inspire more devs to work on original games rather than the hoards of Crappy Bird clones.

@Loaded said:
    Also, not having a go at quantumsheep but I wish more successful indies would be more transparent about the monetary metrics.

I think it would inspire more devs to work on original games rather than the hoards of Crappy Bird clones.

Money is a private thing! You'll be hard pressed to find any private company sharing those details.

And people who work on crappy bird clones are usually in it for the money anyways. Their time as a developer is usually short lived as they more onto other get rich schemes when they realize how hard it is.

edited October 2014

@jonmulcahy said:
    And people who work on crappy bird clones are usually in it for the money anyways. Their time as a developer is usually short lived as they more onto other get rich schemes when they realize how hard it is.

Traditionally I would agree with you Jon and I agree that we're hard pressed to find a private company divulging such information.

I remember the developers of Dustforce being very forthcoming with their metrics and it was an interesting read, they had an interesting story with sales related to marketing strategies and exposure similar to the Sheepmeister. It certainly made me want to make something original.

Any reduction in marketplace noise such as Flappy Bird clones is a good thing if you ask me, even if I agree that the interest of those developers is fleeting, they're still apps punters have to swipe past to get to yours.

As I mentioned I'm certainly not getting at @quantumsheep and I totally respect his modesty and reluctance to disclose earnings, certainly in a modern world of candid exposure (teenage vlogging, scandal culture, wikileaks and such). But maybe in the private pro forums such information is educational... such as Dustforce's information was for me.

Why would he need to expose his money to anyone? If you need to know how much someone made to inspire you, you might be in the wrong field. His monetary return has no relevance on anyone else's potential experience. Each app game has a life of it's own. Since I don't rely on my games to provide a living, i don't give much thought as to how much my game could make. I prefer to focus on how my game appeals to the user. If you can appeal to users the rest will follow. Game making is entertainment, one of the most difficult metrics to quantify. What happens to entertain people at any given moment is a fast moving metric. If you want game making as a career, that is a different discussion. Go to college, get a degree, do internships. My youngest son, who is in his last year of high school, wants a career in the game industry so he is going to college, throughout high learning to code, taking design classes and media classes. He has picked the college with a solid game developing program. This is different from being an indi developer.

• outlandishPIXELoutlandishPIXEL Member Posts: 43

Looks cool!

edited October 2014

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    Why would he need to expose his money to anyone? If you need to know how much someone made to inspire you, you might be in the wrong field. His monetary return has no relevance on anyone else's potential experience. Each app game has a life of it's own. Since I don't rely on my games to provide a living, i don't give much thought as to how much my game could make. I prefer to focus on how my game appeals to the user. If you can appeal to users the rest will follow. Game making is entertainment, one of the most difficult metrics to quantify. What happens to entertain people at any given moment is a fast moving metric. If you want game making as a career, that is a different discussion. Go to college, get a degree, do internships. My youngest son, who is in his last year of high school, wants a career in the game industry so he is going to college, throughout high learning to code, taking design classes and media classes. He has picked the college with a solid game developing program. This is different from being an indi developer.

@The_Gamesalad_Guru‌

He doesn't need to do anything, as my two posts stated. Each to their own. The Dustforce article was simply an interesting read and I would enjoy more of them.

My point is and always was, not everyone is going to make Flappy Bird type figures from Flappy Bird clones, app making is not some honey pot everyone can have a share of and articles about modest earnings of successful highly ranked games is grounding for developers. The earnings of Flappy clones would probably be greater eye opener for some.

There is a good mix of indies on here, some trying to make a buck and some like you doing it as a hobby or for the fun of it. Unfortunately, those trying to make a buck often have unrealistic expectations and could benefit from knowing that their app 99.9% won't be the next Angry Birds, Flappy Bird etc

As @quantumsheep‌ mentioned earlier in the thread, the money has been nice (a help I think he said) but he certainly isn't ordering his yacht or commissioning plush toys in time for Christmas just yet... that's a important message for new starters and I think nothing validates a point better than facts and figures.

I see your point now. No it is not the gold rush...lol I wouldn't say I'm a hobbyist, I do it as a second job. I just don't worry about money.

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

Very Nice #188..Congrats.

edited October 2014

@BBEnk said:
    Very Nice #188..Congrats.

wow is that number #188 in the app store?!?! You are in GOOD company right there.

congrats @quantumsheep‌

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390

@jonmulcahy‌ Yup .. Thats of the overall games category in the US! Time to start looking at what yacht to buy Mr Sheep :) Huge congrats man!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Thats amazing, Sheepy! Congrats!!

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

Thanks for pointing these things out - I generally don't go looking for that info, so it's appreciated :)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• FallingBoxStudiosFallingBoxStudios Freelance Graphic Designer Member Posts: 822
    edited October 2014

Congratulations! again :#

You deserve all the great success you're getting! :wink:

@FallingBoxStudios said:
    Congratulations! again :#

You deserve all the great success you're getting! :wink:

Thank you.

I'm far more comfortable looking at stuff like this:

http://iphone.qualityindex.com/charts/19860/top-5-iphone-games-for-zx-spectrum-fans

A lovely and unexpected piece that praises the game for doing exactly what I wanted the game to do - that is what I enjoy reading :)

QS =D

• gamestudentgamestudent Member Posts: 504

@Socks said:
    If you are my father then that must mean QS is my mother !

Which of course makes you a lamb.

• AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474

@quantumsheep said:
    A lovely and unexpected piece that praises the game for doing exactly what I wanted the game to do - that is what I enjoy reading :)

Oh, go on... you love reading your bank statement now, too, eh? :P

Well, my little game lives on! I found out today it's been nominated for Best Action/Arcade game in PocketGamer's 2015 Awards:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/pgawards2015.asp

It's in esteemed company there I think. Very honoured indeed!

QS =D

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@quantumsheep said:
    Well, my little game lives on! I found out today it's been nominated for Best Action/Arcade game in PocketGamer's 2015 Awards:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/pgawards2015.asp

It's in esteemed company there I think. Very honoured indeed!

QS =D

Congrats! What an accomplishment!

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    edited February 2015

And voted! Can I drive your Ferrari now?
    :D

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Quite the competition there. Best of luck!

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una