Is it Ridiculous to have a $20.49 in-app purchase?

Tiny_IdeasTiny_Ideas Member Posts: 326

Hi all,

I was recently scanning some similar concept games, and noticed a lot them offered $12.49 or $20.49 in-app purchases. For rather simple puzzle games, I think thats a bit far fetch but it seems some people actually pay for them. Has anyone offered any large priced in-apps and had anyone actually buy them (besides yourself)? Thinking of having the option there just in case.

Regards,

Comments

• -Timo--Timo- Member Posts: 2,313
    edited September 2014

There are some crazy people out there. Is $70 for a game normal? I dont think it is but people still buy it #fifa15

If recently saw an documentairy and it was very interesting. When you go to the cinema, you buy popcorn right?
    Do you buy a small one for $3 or a big one for $7?
    Small is too small but big is too expensive so you take the small one.
    What if there is an option for medium for $6,50?
    You are planning to take the medium but because the big one is only $0.50 more expensive you decide to take the big one instead.
    Watch it here: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/brain-games/videos/the-decoy-effect/

Same with iap. There is a small iap, medium iap and a big iap. Small iap is waste of money because with medium you get more stuff for your money. Big one is just little more expensive and you get more stuff so you buy the big little more expensive iap. Right? ;)

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730

@timolapre1998 it's interesting psychology and it does work in the right context. By that I mean that the app and the iap's the user can buy still has to be great and the prize points has to be well adjusted.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

While it might be ridiculous to expect someone to unlock a game for $20.49, I suspect that many people buy coin packs and the like to purchase in-game items for that much without thinking too much about how expensive it is.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

It also really depends on what you are unlocking, right? Try to price your in-app purchases accordingly. If there is something which you think has high enough value for people to buy it, price it as appropriate.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Ive bought the clash of clans $99 packs multiple times :# So id say that $20 is not ridiculous.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• stahboystahboy Member, PRO Posts: 150

Wow that's really interesting!

• Spalding004Spalding004 Member, BASIC Posts: 89

I have a consumable IAP that is 9.99 in my app, and out of the blue someone bought it 11 times one day during the summer. The funny part is that not three days before, my dad (who is one of my biggest testers as he has tons of time free at work) told me that no one would ever spend 10 bucks on an in-app.

• dimsdaledimsdale Member, PRO Posts: 495

@Spalding004 that was likely some poor kid not knowing what they where doing?? I had my kids do that once, cost me like $200. Thats was years back, its a little harder to do that now. Apple even refunded me the money.

Personally I think it is ridiculous and dishonest to have an IAP at that much.