Making things bounce off walls

Hi I am new to GS and I am wondering if you could give me some suggestions as to how I could make one actor bounce off another unmovable actor (a wall in this case) and then follow a completely new trajectory. I have tried using a collision condition to achieve this ( the velocity changes once the two actors collide giving random motion effect) but I cannot get it to work. If you have designed such a system tips would be greatly appreciated ....

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited October 2014

@arthur.carr16@yahoo.co.uk said:
    . . . how I could make one actor bounce off another unmovable actor (a wall in this case) and then follow a completely new trajectory.

Not 100% clear about what you are after here, do you want the bouncing object to stick to the laws of physics and have the outgoing angle mirror the incoming angle (about an axis perpendicular to the collision surface) ? Or by 'completely new trajectory' do you mean some predetermined angle ?

I have tried using a collision condition to achieve this ( the velocity changes once the two actors collide giving random motion effect) . . .

If everything is set up as neutral, no friction, no drag, etc, then the velocity shouldn't change and the bounce will be entirely predictable.

• sorry I am creating a game where it is necessary for certain objects to bounce off other objects that are immovable. I wish for the actor to collide with the wall and then leave with an exit angle=incident angle. I hope this helps to clarify.

sorry I am creating a game where it is necessary for certain objects to bounce off other objects that are immovable. I wish for the actor to collide with the wall and then leave with an exit angle=incident angle. I hope this helps to clarify.

Make an actor, uncheck moveable, this will be your wall.

Make a second actor, set it to collide with the first.

In both actors turn the friction down to 0.

• Thank you very much