GameSalad 0.8.7 Beta Now Available!

YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
We said it was coming and here it is! GameSalad 0.8.7 Beta is here!

As we explained in last month's 'Big Picture' update, the main focus for 0.8.7 was stability, including fixes due to issues in 0.8.6 Beta. In short, GameSalad 0.8.7 is better. Better with memory, with sound, with collision. Just plain better. Check out the details below:

GameSalad Creator 0.8.7 Beta

Fixes:
Memory usage fixes to reduce the increase in memory.
Reduced sensitivity for iPhone/iPad autorotation (flipping from landscape left to landscape right)
'Rotate To Position' will now continue to rotate to a point when the actor itself has moved to a different position.
'Drag' behavior has been deprecated and in its place are 2 new attributes in the Physics section of an actor's attributes, which can be changed by a 'Change Attribute' behavior. (see Below)
Crashes fixed due to incompatible sound files.
Collision detection improved.

Features:
The rest of the 11 touch attributes for the iPad
New 'Drag' actor attribute to replace the non-functional Drag behavior option. Use low values (e.g., 0.7) for visible slowdown.

GameSalad Viewer for iPad 0.8.7 Beta

Fixes:
Updates for 'Rotate to Position' after actor has moved.
Removal of 'Drag' behavior (deprecated) in lieu of 'Drag' and 'Angular Drag' actor attributes.

Features:
Support for 11 touch events.
Separate Physics attributes for 'Drag' and 'Angular Drag' to replace 'Drag' behavior.

GameSalad Viewer for iPhone 0.8.7 Beta

Fixes:
Removal of 'Drag' behavior (deprecated) in lieu of 'Drag' and 'Angular Drag' actor attributes.

Features:
Separate Physics attributes for 'Drag' and 'Angular Drag' to replace 'Drag' behavior.

GameSalad Web Plug-in 0.8.7 Beta

Fixes:

Features:

In last month's 'Big Picture', we also mentioned that we would be offering a limited grace period with releases, during which both the new and previous version of GameSalad would be available for publishing. This was to help those who were just about ready to publish when a new version was released. We are still going to do that, it's just going to be a few days late. We're working hard on it and in a few days, you should be able to publish with either 0.8.7 or 0.8.6.

Please remember, these grace periods are exactly that – grace periods. There will only be two versions available for publishing for a limited time. So, please, take note when we announce a grace period has started and if you're using the older version of GS to publish, do it sooner rather than later.

We apologize for not having the grace period quite ready yet, but I assure you it is coming and it should only be a few days.

So, to sum up, GameSalad 0.8.7 Beta is available NOW!

Also, make sure that when you download the new version of the Creator tool, please download the new viewer versions as well. I can't begin to tell you how many bugs are reported to us that stem from users trying to view newer version projects in older version viewers.

Get GameSalad 0.8.7 Beta Now!

Comments

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    sweeet, i use drag in my latest game i've just finished so i think the update will have to wait until i've at least got a working build
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    I want to add this about drag:

If you have used the Drag behavior in your project, it has been changed into two Change Attribute behaviors. If you relied on the Drag behavior to only be active depending on a set of rules, then you will need to add Change Attribute behaviors to change those drag attributes back to their original values.
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    lol.... The update doesnt know it updated.

Updated about 10 times now and it just prompts me to update everytime

Im guessing i should just delete and install fresh
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    I'm disappointed with this update.

1) There's an install loop. It just downloads the update, restarts, downloads the update.

2) Loading time issue still seems to be unresolved, no significant features since the iPad.
    Ok, odd

It is actually just installing 8.6 over and over again.

It this a bug or just me?
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    We understand some people have encountered issues when updating through the Creator tool. We're working on resolving this as fast as possible. For those that want to update immediately, use the following link and it should work:

GameSalad 0.8.7 Download.

Thanks for your patience while we fix the direct update issue.

--Yodapollo
    It still thinks it's 0.8.6
    because it is...
    Nope, the file says "GameSalad-Creator-0.8.7-beta.dmg"
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    @codemonkey ... my actor accelerates and has drag to slow it down naturally, if i update, will it automatically switch my settings into the 2 new attributes? They are not on timers, the drag is always on with my characters. Im sure its very simple, just i literally have 1st build ready now and i dont want to cause any un-necesary complications. Ta
    Photics said:
    Nope, the file says "GameSalad-Creator-0.8.7-beta.dmg"

Yeah your right, but it is still installing a fresh 8.6
    0.8.6 ...causing trouble until the bitter end! HA HA! :)
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    The web updater does not yet work either, unfortunately.

It saw that I needed to update, I installed the update successfully and relaunched.
    Now it days that it doesn't have the plugin at all:

This unique experience was designed to be tasted with the GameSalad Plug-in for Safari. Please download here.
    Luckily i tevoe'd some star trek in HD this morning
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    I'll wait till everything is cleared up before D/Ling, but great news
  • DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    Good stuff! :)
    But can we get an comment on the pause function?
  • adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,067
    Sorry about that, we uploaded the wrong binary (or rather one with an old plist entry)... it should be cleared up shortly.
  • adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,067
    Alrighty this issue has been resolved. I should have the ability to publish with the old release up soon, so if you're waiting, please be patient. And thanks!

Back to our regularly scheduled release chatter.
    My copy of GameSalad seems to have updated properly now.
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    @beefy_clyro Each actor now has in its Physics attributes, a Drag and an Angular Drag attribute. Old Drag behaviors are changed into Change Attribute behaviors to change those 2 attributes to the values that were in the Drag behavior.
  • JackBQuickJackBQuick Member Posts: 524
    Thanks for 0.8.7! I'm looking forward to using it.
    Wow... awful update so far... I tested it with Commove, and now most of my actors are white boxes. On the bright side, this seems to have improved loading times. HA HA!

Edit: I forgot to update the viewer, that might be the problem.
    working

thanks for update!
    It's working for me now.

So, this started me wondering...

1) The loading times were dramatically faster when the images weren't loading properly. Does GameSalad encrypt or compress the images in some way? If so, shouldn't the developer have the option to determine that? I think it would be better for the game to take up more space, but load more quickly.

2) The game loaded up on my device in 20 seconds. That's about 10 seconds faster than the version on the iTunes store. Have the loading times been improved?
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    Ok, can I safely use this now? I don't want to find my game has been screwed as I'm only part way through it...
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    working fine for me. give it a go
    It seems better to me, but this update didn't really resolve any of the major issues for me. I wasn't having major problems with collision detection or drag.

I'm uncertain about loading times, but it might be a 33% improvement for Commove. I don't know how to confirm this though, short of submitting my app to Apple and then measuring the loading time again.
  • JonTiStudiosJonTiStudios Member Posts: 66
    Great... Did not fix the collision problems for my game. The game still nearly stops my snowmobile when it lands, and it lurches along the ground when driving...
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    Have you lowered the friction?
  • JonTiStudiosJonTiStudios Member Posts: 66
    @POLYGAMe - Yep, friction has been turned to 0. It's no friction it has something to do with the collision detection having hiccups.