Brick Game

nateguriannategurian Member, PRO Posts: 17

I am making a brick breaking style type of game. I have a platform that bounces a ball. I want to be able to control where the ball goes with the platform. For example if the ball if flying from left to right and it hits the left side of my platform it continues to bounce right. If it is flying in that same pattern and hits the left side of the platform, I want ball to be able to change direction to left, if that makes sense.

Another way to put it, if it hits the center of the platform it goes straight up, the further left it hits on the platform the further left it will bounce off, same with the right.

If this makes any sense, please help :)

-Nate

Comments

• nateguriannategurian Member, PRO Posts: 17

Here is the link to the Gamesalad template for what I am talking about.

Thanks

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@nategurian said:
    I am making a brick breaking style type of game. I have a platform that bounces a ball. I want to be able to control where the ball goes with the platform. For example if the ball if flying from left to right and it hits the left side of my platform it continues to bounce right. If it is flying in that same pattern and hits the left side of the platform, I want ball to be able to change direction to left, if that makes sense.

Doesn't make sense to me !?

You have:

Ball travelling left to right > hits the left side of my platform > continues to bounce right.

Then you have . . .

"If it is flying in that same pattern and hits the left side of the platform, I want ball to be able to change direction to left"

By 'that same pattern' do you mean left to right ? Or do you mean the opposite, right to left ?

Also you later say "the further left it hits on the platform the further left it will bounce", does that apply to your first example where a ball "flying from left to right [that] hits the left side of [your] platform it continues to bounce right" ?

The actual mechanics of a breakout style game are pretty straightforward, but I'm not quite sure what exactly you are after with your version ?

edited October 2014

I realize that this was confusing and there could have been a better way to word it. In short, How can I use the platform to control where the ball goes.

@nategurian said:
    I realize that this was confusing and there could have been a better way to word it. In short, How can I use the platform to control where the ball goes.

Let me make you a quick demo, back in a minute . . .

Here you go, left and right arrows move the bat . . .

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?6lumu5e6leau169

edited October 2014

@Socks said:
    Here you go, left and right arrows move the bat . . .

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?6lumu5e6leau169

Hey Socks, I appreciate the example, problem is when I download the zipped file, I can't open it with Gamesalad. Even the brick control.gsproj

I can only open .gameproj files with game salad

@nategurian said:
    I can only open .gameproj files with game salad

Are you using the PC version ?

@Socks said:
    Are you using the PC version ?

No, Mac :(

@nategurian said:
    No, Mac :(

Oh, just rename the file to whatever it is you need to open it, so rename the file Something.gameproj

@Socks said:
    Oh, just rename the file to whatever it is you need to open it, so rename the file Something.gameproj

I tried that and it said its not able to read the file. Do you know any other tricks :)

@nategurian said:
    I tried that and it said its not able to read the file. Do you know any other tricks :)

I'm using RC version 12.8, you can download RC version 12.8 and use it along side whatever version you are currently using, i.e. you can keep both versions on your HD at the same time if you need to.

@Socks said:
    I'm using RC version 12.8, you can download RC version 12.8 and use it along side whatever version you are currently using, i.e. you can keep both versions on your HD at the same time if you need to.

Thanks. I will give that a try later. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated

edited October 2014

Got it to work, THANKS!

I appreciate all your help