Notes on Resolution Independence on 0.12.x

2»

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited October 2014

@jay2dx said:
    What about pixel art, that need to use nearest neighbour as the resize method, wont they be ruined as they'll most likely be anti aliased in the process?

GS's servers nor an iDevice's OpenGL scaling capabilities have ever used NN resizing, so pixel art will be no more effected by this new system than it always has been from an interpolation standpoint.

But that being said of all the various assets effected by the (separate but related) issue of x3 divisibility I'd say pixel art will be amongst the most effected . . . . . but . . . with GS's introduction of Custom RI, where you supply assets for the various resolutions rather than rely on GS's servers/device scaling, this issue is resolved, in fact this new system is much better for the pixel art folk, much better than the previous scheme, no more scaled assets, now - with Custom RI - you can address individual pixels on all your target devices. Pixel art nirvana.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited October 2014

@Socks
    Pixel art nirvana

You're not kidding! I began graphic art by using MacPaint 30 years ago!

Back then the only way you could draw on a PC was with a felt tip marker! >:)

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

@Socks said:
    But that being said of all the various assets effected by the (separate but related) issue of x3 divisibility I'd say pixel art will be amongst the most effected . . . . . but . . . with GS's introduction of Custom RI, where you supply assets for the various resolutions rather than rely on GS's servers/device scaling, this issue is resolved, in fact this new system is much better for the pixel art folk, much better than the previous scheme, no more scaled assets, now - with Custom RI - you can address individual pixels on all your target devices. Pixel art nirvana.

Well nice one for the reply man :) great news, also I thought open GL could do the same as a direct x environment with regards to NN or is the system they us POINT! either way nice to know I can scale it all my self, in all honestly though im targeting ipad and theses days the iphones and ipods can handle it pretty well ive seen..

thanks again man :)

• Hi Guys,
    Can anyone let me know how will tweet sheet work image name work? If the image is post.png, we should enter at image section: post , that's it? or something else..

• yattamoveyattamove Member Posts: 236

@jay2dx‌
    Yep, updated my pixel art game without adhoc testing and it came out antialiased! Sucks as I have to rework again!

• iKlazzyiKlazzy Member, PRO Posts: 71

So how does it work if we have an iPhone 6 background?
    My actor in GS is 540 x 960
    3x that is 1620 x 2880
    2/3 is 1080 x 1920

but 1620 x 2880 is "too large to safely be used" ??

@Nabbo If the image is named " post.png " just put " post " in the box. Sorry it took so long for someone to answer. There are a lot of threads and posts in this forum. :)

edited October 2014

@iKlazzy If you are building for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, as I understand it, I would make my background 1242 x 2208. I also believe that 2048 x 2048 is the largest size that Creator will handle at this time… unless I missed something. So, you can't make your actor 1620 x 2880.

If someone else knows different, please tell us both.

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    edited October 2014

@adent42 Hey, just checking I understand something. With the example of having a 2048 x 2048 image.

If we check RI in a project and also check 'Legacy RI' in publishing does that mean that the 2048 x 2048 will be used for iPad retina & iPhone 6plus? And a 1024 x 1024 image will be auto generated and used for every other device. And a third image set will not be generated.

Is that right?

Edit: The above must be wrong. On testing this example on an ipad mini it seems the 2048 x 2048 images will be used on all retina iphones and all ipads. And the auto generated 1024 x 1024 images would be used on non retina iphones.

Not quite sure how the game I was testing didn't crash, but the 2048 x 2048 images looked great on the non-retina ipad mini 1!

• HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    edited October 2014

Just did some more testing. The issue I'm trying to solve is getting a game that's now 109mb when published and zipped down to under 100mb. Since 8bit pngs are no longer usable in GS the file size has gone up a lot.

I tried unchecking RI. Only having the one set of images got the size down to 80mb when published and zipped. So that solves the problem.

(If you're interested the same game is 102mb with RI checked and Legacy RI checked in publishing, the example from my post above)

I'm testing on a non-retina ipad mini, iOS 7.x and I'm impressed that it took 26 levels and multiple scene changes before the game crashed. And this is with images sized to look good on retina ipads!

In older iterations of GS it crashed sooner than this and with images of half the size as I had RI checked.

So glad to see the GS team are making good progress in terms of engine optimization.

There is a performance hit with my example though. I can see a slow down at the start of some levels if new images are being loaded in. Which doesn't happen if RI is checked. And a particular animation seems to get stuck. However the main gameplay experience is mostly unaffected.

On the plus those larger images look a lot better and my original issue of file size is solved. I'll see if I can get someone to test on iphones 4 and 5 before deciding but it looks like I'll be leaving RI unchecked for the store update of this game.

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

@adent42 in a recent thread there has been a discussion regarding image sizes for the iPhone 6+. I took these screenshots https://www.dropbox.com/s/zastpr7p37jdz29/GameScreenshots.zip?dl=0 on a iPhone 4s, iPad Air and an iPhone 6+. Looking at the headings for example the 6+ is blurred where the others are not. Looking at these scenes on a device I cannot see it it is only looking at the screenshots which are much bigger that I can see it.

For this game it won't make any difference for other games it might. I experimented and tried several things to get a clear image and wasn't able to, they were;

1 - Creating an image at 2.3x
    2 - Changing the size of a 256x40 actor to an odd dimension i.e. 255x39, 255.5x39.5
    3 - Changing the position of an actor i.e. 755.5/726.5, 755.15/726.15

Nothing made any difference to the quality of the iPhone 6+ image it always had the same blur. Do you know why this is happening and if anything can be done by GS or us to correct it?

• AliDuderAliDuder Member, PRO Posts: 7

Two Questions:

I'm pretty sure this thread is referring to the Resolution Independence checkbox under the Project Info pane of Creator. However, after you click to Publish your game there is also a checkbox for Legacy Retina Independence under iPhone Main Settings. What does selecting or not selecting that box do? I'm guessing that if you select resolution Independence in Creator you probably should also select Legacy Retina Independence during Publishing/App Generation. I don't like to assume though!

Also, I have the same questions as PhilipCC above. Is 2048 x 2048 still the largest file size accepted?

edited November 2014

@AliDuder‌

@jamie_c asked on the 16th Oct:
    Will the maximum pixel dimensions increase beyond 2048 x 2048?

@BlackCloakGS‌ replied: "Here is the feature request for that"

which just takes you to the feature request list and it's not on there?

During the October Meet-Up BlackCloackGS confirmed that at that time 2048 x 2048 was the largest you could make an actor.

To date, I have not seen any announcement that it has changed.

Keep in mind that you can make a scene as big as you like. In portrait mode I have one that is 19200w x 1136h to suit up to iPhone 5 and Retina iPads.

You just can't make a background actor bigger than 2048 x 2048, and even then you must set its display size at 1024 x 1024.

• AliDuderAliDuder Member, PRO Posts: 7

After re-reading this thread I think I understand now. If someone could please confirm, it would be greatly appreciated:

If you're updating art to 3x your actor size then you would check the Resolution Independence checkbox under the Project Info tab in Creator.

If you're NOT updating your art to 3x, and instead keeping it at 2x your actor size, then you would not check Resolution Independence checkbox in Creator. You would instead check the Legacy Retina Independence on the main settings game before generating your app.

edited December 2014

@AliDuder said:
    After re-reading this thread I think I understand now. If someone could please confirm, it would be greatly appreciated:

If you're updating art to 3x your actor size then you would check the Resolution Independence checkbox under the Project Info tab in Creator.

If you're NOT updating your art to 3x, and instead keeping it at 2x your actor size, then you would not check Resolution Independence checkbox in Creator. You would instead check the Legacy Retina Independence on the main settings game before generating your app.

Like you, I'm still waiting for someone to confirm or correct what you asked before I rebuild some older apps.

@Adent42 and @Socks Please could you guys, or someone else with a wealth of knowledge, or somebody who has insider access, maybe confirm what AliDuder asked?

• PaxtonPaxton Member Posts: 89

So if I start with iPhone 6 as a base, my imagery should be @3x actor size?

And if I start with iPhone 5 as a base, the imagery I provide should still be @3x actor size? This is what I don't understand.

@Paxton said:
    So if I start with iPhone 6 as a base, my imagery should be 3x actor size?

And if I start with iPhone 5 as a base, the imagery I provide should still be 3x actor size? This is what I don't understand.

. . . . . . .

An iPhone5 GameSalad project is 568 x 320 pixels . . . x2 = 1136x640

. . . . . . .

An iPhone6 GameSalad project is 667 x 375 pixels . . . x2 = 1334x750

. . . . . . .

An iPhone6+ GameSalad project is 736 x 414 pixels . . . x3 = 2208x1242
    (scaled down to 1920x1080 internally by the iPhone6)

edited February 2015

@Socks

Just to be 100% clear, my images should be 3x actor size? This is the most confusing thing for me right now.

Say that I start with the iPhone 6 project in GS... if my actor is 100x100, its image should be 300x300?

Then, let's say that I start with the iPhone 6+ project in GS... if the actor is 100x100, the image I provide should still be 300x300?

edited February 2015

@Paxton said:
    Just to be 100% clear, my images should be 3x actor size? This is the most confusing thing for me right now.

Say that I start with the iPhone 6 project in GS... if my actor is 100x100, its image should be 300x300?

An iPhone 6 project would be an odd place to start if you were targeting iPhone 6+ and iPhone 5.

An iPhone 6 project's actor with a size of 100x100 pixels would require a 200x200 pixel image.

@Paxton said:
    Then, let's say that I start with the iPhone 6+ project in GS... if the actor is 100x100, the image I provide should still be 300x300?

An iPhone 6+ project's actor with a size of 100x100 pixels would require a 300x300 pixel image.

All these devices are 16:9, I would target the highest resolution device (the iPhone 6+) and let the asset scaling system sort the rest out for you.

@Socks said:

Thanks! From experience, with what kind of project should I start? iPhone 6+ project and all my imagery to be 3x actor size?

As far as I understand, that would mean that the software will divide by 2/3 to get the image for the 6, and by 3 to get the image for the 5

edited February 2015

@Paxton said:
    Thanks! From experience, with what kind of project should I start? iPhone 6+ project and all my imagery to be 3x actor size?

If your target platform is going be the iPhone (6+ / 6 / 5 / 4) then you would be best off starting from an iPhone6+ project.

@Paxton said:
    As far as I understand, that would mean that the software will divide by 2/3 to get the image for the 6, and by 3 to get the image for the 5.

Not quite, it would be 2/3 for the 6, 4 and 5.

@Socks Thanks a lot, your help is very appreciated. I will start off with the 6+ project in GS, and all of my imagery will be @3x actor size.

Out of curiosity. One of my previous projects was started as a iPhone 5 project. In order for its actors to scale properly on the 6+, how big should the imagery be for that one?

@Paxton said:
    Out of curiosity. One of my previous projects was started as a iPhone 5 project. In order for its actors to scale properly on the 6+, how big should the imagery be for that one?

An iPhone6+ screen is 2208 x 1242 (scaled to 1920 x 1080 by the device), so you want to aim for a 2208 x 1242 pixel resolution in your project.