IAP Pricing Strategies - Breaking the Norm

I'm sure most of us have noticed that a lot of apps (or at least the top apps) follow a pricing strategy similar to the usual $0.99-$4.99-$9.99-$19.99-$49.99-$99.99.

Have any of you experimented with less common pricing tiers (e.g. $39.99, $69.99, $89.99 IAPs) and have they worked well? worse? Seems like people generally hate to see $99 IAPs and sometimes even anything over $49, so it's interesting that most of the top games all seem to follow the same exact pricing structure.

Comments

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

They follow the structure of the US dollar currency. Example: I have a spare dollar, ill buy this $0.99 iap. I have an extra 20, ill buy this $19.99 iap etc.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454
    edited October 2014

@raycur09‌ Totally overlooked that, thanks for the input! Do you think a $99 IAP (to allow players to max out on consumables in one purchase) would be a dangerous move for a paid app? Or would relying on repeat purchases of cheaper consumables be best?

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@supafly921 said:
    raycur09‌ Totally overlooked that, thanks for the input! Do you think a $99 IAP (to allow players to max out on consumables in one purchase) would be a dangerous move for a paid app? Or would relying on repeat purchases of cheaper consumables be best?

$99 IAP are hard to pull off, the game itself has to be well worth it or else you will be looked at as a scammer and get a bad reputation.

Clash of clans and Game of War Fire Age are games i bought countless $99 IAP. Cant even tell you how much exactly i spent since it was so often but that should give you an idea of the type of games that can pull this off (in my opinion).

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454

@raycur09‌ ah gotcha, it would be along the lines of Angry Birds in terms of content/gameplay experience. Maybe it's just most accepted in combat/farming games where customization and building is a constant task