64-bit and iOS 8 Requirements for New Apps

jorkosjorkos Member, PRO Posts: 353

Hey guys, any thoughts on how this will impact us in the new year?

"Starting February 1, 2015, new iOS apps uploaded to the App Store must include 64-bit support and be built with the iOS 8 SDK, included in Xcode 6 or later. To enable 64-bit in your project, we recommend using the default Xcode build setting of “Standard architectures” to build a single binary with both 32-bit and 64-bit code."

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=10202014a

Comments

• iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648

Ugh... Apple stop it!

• plknudsonplknudson Member Posts: 5

Can someone explain what this might mean for GS?

• ralphbugsralphbugs Member Posts: 39

Yeah, i've been wondering about that too.

• MarcMySaladMarcMySalad Member Posts: 158

It means that the GS team have more stuff to do or else our apps will be rejected

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

there is a chance it means that all of us will have to have xcode 6 installed to sign our apps, which is only available in yosemite AFAIK... so everyone would have to upgrade to Yosemite to submit and sign iOS apps. but this is only speculation

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611
    edited October 2014

So my BIG game is releasing in January then! sheshh! one month less to get it finished :/

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

Since the compiling is on the GameSalad side, surely it would only be them that would have to use Yosemite?

How much hassle this will be for us will depend entirely on how GameSalad's server side is programmed, and if they can just tick the relevant box in Xcode, or if they need to rewrite parts of their code to include/not include whatever libraries are affected.

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

Release 12 is built against the iOS 8 SDK and we will make sure release 13 supports 64bit processors.

edited October 2014

I get the impression this is what it feels like at GameSalad HQ right now with all Apple's antics recently.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@Armelline said:
    I get the impression this is what it feels like a GameSalad HQ right now with all Apple's antics recently.

Ha seriously, apple needs to give them some time to work on making the engine better instead of meeting new requirements!

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

there is a chance it means that all of us will have to have xcode 6 installed to sign our apps, which is only available in yosemite AFAIK...

I'm running Xcode 6.0.1 on Mavericks without any issues (as far as I know).

• eschwartzeschwartz Member, PRO Posts: 22

I guess the question for me is, should I go ahead and update to Xcode 6 or should I wait until GS 13 is released? I've been burned in the past updating too quickly :smiley: So, some best practices here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• kipdevkipdev Member Posts: 275

I cannot even upload my app. I keep getting that "missing 64-bit support" how is this issue being resolved? can we not upload apps at all right now?

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@kipdev said:
    I cannot even upload my app. I keep getting that "missing 64-bit support" how is this issue being resolved? can we not upload apps at all right now?

The message pops up but you can still continue. 64-bit support doesn't take effect until some time in February.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• kipdevkipdev Member Posts: 275

But i cannot click submit for review...it wont let me upload it...so my app is just saying prepare for submission...but i cannot procedd

• JPGamesFactoryJPGamesFactory Member, PRO Posts: 174

I think the best option is to use Yosemite with Virtualbox. No install o upgrade the os but only emulate it in a virtual machine. Not for work on GS or on app graphic, but only for Xcode, itunes connect and submission of the app.
    The Adobe cc have a lot of compatibility problem on Yosemite.
    Another solution is to make a new partition on hd and install Yosemite.
    Than press ALT at start of Mac and choose the partition with Yosemite for work. In this case you can have simultaneously two OS .
    Now i have two partition : one with Snow leopard and another with x Mountain Lion.
    I think the will use Virtualbox for Yosemite.

• RynoGuy67RynoGuy67 Member Posts: 24

I just submitted an update for Rocketslug last night, with no issues other than the message saying in Feb it has to have 64-bit added to it. Meh, if XCode 6 or GS 13 will be sufficient in fixing this then it should be seamless to us users. I just updated to Yosemite, which I was hesitant, but it seems ok so far.

• RynoGuy67RynoGuy67 Member Posts: 24

The sucky part is... because Apple was closed down over the Holidays, it is taking FOREVER for them to review apps. I posted a much needed change to my game Rocketslug the first day they came back online, but nothing has been done to it yet. At this rate I assume it will be past Feb 1st when they get around to it, and I will have to resubmit it. I am gonna go update to xCode 6 and rebuild the binary for it and see if that works. I recently updated to Yosemite, so hopefully it all works out ok.

Has anyone tried any updates/uploads in the last 2 weeks and had fast results?

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

@RynoGuy67 not entirely true with regards to Apple taking ages with reviews. Im still waiting for one app to go into review that I uploaded 8-9 days ago, however I uploaded another game for approval 3 days ago, and it got approved and onto the App Store within 10 hours...

So its just a lottery...

I'd have thought it was a ordered queue system... but obviously not from my recent experience.

• Night CabNight Cab Member Posts: 57
    edited January 2015

Ok, just to let everyone know, I have...

• Xcode 6.1.1,
    • Yosemite 10.10.1 and
    • Gamesalad 0.12.10 beta with a Pro License

and I am also getting the 64 bit message from Apple.

• Night CabNight Cab Member Posts: 57
    edited January 2015

@edcosine said:
    Ok, just to let everyone know, I have...

• Xcode 6.1.1,
    • Yosemite 10.10.1 and
    • Gamesalad 0.12.10 beta with a Pro License

and I am also getting the 64 bit message from Apple.

And by the way, why do the Gamesalad versions alway say "beta"? Is there another version I should be using? Just wondering.

The change needed to make the games 64bit compatible is on the GameSalad publishing server side. GS staff have said they fully expect to have support for 64bit implemented by the time the requirement takes effect. Right now it's just a matter of waiting and keeping an eye on updates to RCs and stable builds.

• phamtasticphamtastic Member, PRO Posts: 354

So can we submit new iOS games right now?