Video Capture Options

TosanuTosanu Member, PRO Posts: 388

If I'm looking to capture gameplay from my editor for a trailer, does anyone have software they recommend using? I don't have the budget to register fraps, and the watermark on that would not be acceptable for this.

Comments

• Supersonic9120Supersonic9120 Member, PRO Posts: 174

I use Reflector. It has a one time fee of around 15$. But it works to record video from the device itself rather than the editor. It has been slow on my machine, but it is worth looking into.

• TosanuTosanu Member, PRO Posts: 388

I appreciate that, but that doesnt fit my needs. We're hoping VERY hard to find a free one, and we dont currently have our testing device available.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

You can try x-mirage, its free for 15 days or so. Enough time to get a few previews done.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

Does it let you record off the editor?

If you want to record your screen you can try OBS it open source https://obsproject.com

Hmmm. Kinda struggling with it, though its close. Having no luck getting the game to fill the screen. Anyone know OBS enough to point out how to set up the preview window? (and remove the mouse cursor if possible)

There should be a capture mouse curses checkbox. Just uncheck it.

Thanks. one last question, if anyone knows this. Are there specific rules to what Apple accepts for preview videos? Like, if they have to be a certain size, quality, or origin?

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

Upgrade to OSX 10.10. You can record a video buy connected your device to your mac. It will record a 1200 X 900 video through quicktime. However in-order to do this you need to upgrade to OS X Yosemite.

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

And thats the only video type apple accepts? I cant use, say, an editor screen capture?

edited October 2014

Here are the specific rules. I have highlighted the most important rules in green. Follow them or you will not be able to upload your video preview to the App store.

Yes.

You could but QuickTime is free to use and the video quality is good.
    Also you wouldn't have to worry about having the correct resolution because QuickTime records from your iDevice.

I recorded my video with quicktime and then edited the footage in After effects.

edited October 2014

Good Luck :)

Due to the nature of the project, I wont HAVE an apple device to use for too long, is why im asking, is all.

What does poster frame mean?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Tosanu said:
    What does poster frame mean?

It's basically the thumbnail image.

edited October 2014

@Socks‌ Ok, so what does it mean with this 5 sec default requirement, in that case?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Tosanu said:
    Socks‌ Ok, so what does it mean with this 5 sec default requirement, in that case?

I would guess (and it's only a guess) that it would work the same as Youtube and Vimeo's thumbnail/poster frame approach, you upload your video to Apple, once uploaded you then scrub through the uploaded video and when you see a frame you like, one that best sums up the app, you hit the 'poster frame' button.

Yep. I just uploaded a video and it works just like Socks says.