The end of Unity as former EA CEO joins?

Former chief executive officer of Electronic Arts John Riccitiello has a new role: CEO of Unity Technologies, the company that develops the popular cross-platform game engine Unity.

In a post from Unity founder David Helgason, who's stepping down as CEO but staying with the company, he says Riccitiello is "the right person to help guide the company to the mission that we set out for ourselves over a decade ago: democratize game development!"

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/22/7039683/electronic-arts-john-riccitiello-unity-ceo

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Why would this mean the end of Unity ?

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584

People are already talking about 'season passes' and DLC etc. The kind of stuff he did at EA. Remember, it was voted the worst company to work for in the US under his leadership - for a reason. I worked there during his time and it was awful watching people being laid off time and time again.

Tesco in the UK is learning that if you cut too deep, you pay the ultimate price.

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

So Unity 5 will actually be Unity 4 with a new skin..

• phamtasticphamtastic Member, PRO Posts: 354

@jigglybean - You worked at EA too? I was there back in 2007-2008

@jigglybean said:
    People are already talking about 'season passes' and DLC etc. The kind of stuff he did at EA. Remember, it was voted the worst company to work for in the US under his leadership - for a reason. I worked there during his time and it was awful watching people being laid off time and time again.

Cheers for the reply, to be honest I don't know enough about the subject to comment, I was just curious as to why a company would knowingly take on someone who would damage them in any way ?

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584

@phamtastic - I started in 2007, in the UK. Probably one of THE most bizarre companies I have worked for. I remember having to contact a 'central' team to ask any questions about stuff who forwarded the email on to whoever I wanted to contact. Another one of Riccitiello bright ideas.

edited October 2014

@jigglybean said:
    phamtastic - I started in 2007, in the UK. Probably one of THE most bizarre companies I have worked for. I remember having to contact a 'central' team to ask any questions about stuff who forwarded the email on to whoever I wanted to contact. Another one of Riccitiello bright ideas.

Sounds like horrible over-management ! I hate that kind of stuff.

(If you want to reply to this post please direct all responses to SocksCentralMediaDistrubutionAndCommunicationsHub@Hotmail.com and please allow 14 days for a reply from one of my forum post response agents)