How to make long side scrolling levels

I am trying to make a side scrolling 'racing' game. For this I need particularly long levels / tracks that are not randomly generated.

I tried creating some long track images and importing them but it says that the images are too big for game salad to use. Any good guides / tutorials that related to this kind of level creation?

Comments

• RabidParrotRabidParrot Formally RabidParrot. Member Posts: 956

Cut the images up into smaller pieces. Gamesalad also has a tile option in the graphics menu.

• ChumCreatureChumCreature Member Posts: 17
    edited October 2014

@Rabid Parrot said:
    Cut the images up into smaller pieces. Gamesalad also has a tile option in the graphics menu.

I'm making a scrolling game as well, and my game needed some image cutting.

I have also found that you have to make things on diagonals or flat, because curving terrain sometimes requires some nasty platforming work.

• foxgeerefoxgeere Member Posts: 2

Thank you for the replies. I am thinking that maybe it won't be possible with game salad as it kind of counts on having a curving course

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

It's entirely possible, you would build your levels out of multiple images as mentioned above and use separate invisible actors for your collision detection which you can place in curves or any shape you want when you build your levels. It would likely take some work/time, but certainly possible.