Some questions for making a music game!!

(I'm already making it now, I just need to finish this before 10/27/2014)
1. How does gamesalad detect the bpm of a mp3 that is chosen by a player?
(because I don't want to make my game focus too much on it's own mp3 files)
2. Should I make different characters to represent the players that are customizable per number of specified points?
(this is due to the discontinue of my rpg game, because it has to be reworked later on[going to change everything, because I might end up copying another game's graphics(I don't want to do that I might get copyrights infringement.)])

Comments

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584

erm. You're probably best to create an actor that controls all the music and sounds. It will make it easier for you to control and find/edit when you need to.

GS on the PC is a pain when it comes to sound. It can take several attempts and you may need to convert the sound to .ogg files using an online free converter, then drag them in to your sounds folder.

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

• well, one thing for sure, I don't have any money to get a mac.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@honaccountpk@yahoo.com said:
    1. How does gamesalad detect the bpm of a mp3 that is chosen by a player?

It cannot detect the bpm of a track.

(because I don't want to make my game focus too much on it's own mp3 files)

GameSalad can only use mp3 files you place within the app when you create the app, it cannot play mp3s stored on the device.

2. Should I make different characters to represent the players that are customizable per number of specified points?

It's not clear (to me at least) what any of that means ?

• @Socks said:It's not clear (to me at least) what any of that means ?

what I mean is a character that represents the player visually inside the game itself(like a game avatar or something)

what I mean is a character that represents the player visually inside the game itself(like a game avatar or something)

Sorry, maybe I'm being a bit slow today (not enough coffee :) ) but I still don't really understand what you are saying, is it a question ?

• @Socks said:
    Sorry, maybe I'm being a bit slow today (not enough coffee :) ) but I still don't really understand what you are saying, is it a question ?

what I meant was, is adding game characters also applicable to this type of game?
    Another question:
    what free bpm software is a good tool for this?

what I meant was, is adding game characters also applicable to this type of game?

I don't know what type of game you are referring to, the only thing you've said in reference to your game is that it is a 'music game', which could mean anything.

Another question: what free bpm software is a good tool for this?

Sorry, I'm not being very helpful today ! :) I'm not sure what 'bpm software' is, do you mean software that just works out the bpm of a track ? If that's what you are after try a simple tap tempo application like this:

http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm