Pixel art copyright

Just wondering,
How much of a pixel art image do you have to change to legally claim it as your own. I most pixel art is very basic, and characters/trees can easily look like the hundreds of others people have made.
If i just changed the colour and the size slightly it would look nothing like the original.
So whats the bare minimum?

Comments

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Changing the color and size is not enough for the image to be claimed as your own.

Technically you can't call it your own if you are using the original image to edit on. But if you edit the image enough, you can get away with claiming it as your as long as you don't mention using someone else's work to produce it.

This is just a basic answer without using legal terms to help you understand. If you want definitive answer i recommend asking a lawyer or reading up on DMCA law.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@jsorr2 said:
    most pixel art is very basic, and characters/trees can easily look like the hundreds of others people have made

And yet, in all these games in the past, each game had a distinct set of trees, etc.

You just seem to be lazy to do your own. ;)

You can of course be inspired by some pixel art, if you like the style, but really, changing the color and size? That's plain stealing. Changing the color is not a change in the design, just a variation of the same. Changing the size -- depends what you mean by that.

• jsorr2jsorr2 Member Posts: 279

@pHghost‌
    I have no idea how to draw pixel art. I'm like seriously bad. I ended up buying some art haha. Cheers for the response

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@jsorr2 said:
    I have no idea how to draw pixel art. I'm like seriously bad.

Then you should like seriously practice. :)

If you never start, you will never get there. But if you jump into it, it's a start. Will it be kind of crappy at the start? Most likely. But you will learn by doing it, and will become much better over time.

• jsorr2jsorr2 Member Posts: 279
    edited November 2014

@pHghost‌ When I tried to make my first grass tile, it looked like a persian rug. Then I looked at a professional grass tile and I thought I may aswell have blown my nose on my phone to produce similar results as my tile.

But you're right. Starting is the most important part :smiley:

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@jsorr2 said:
    pHghost‌ When I tried to make my first grass tile, it looked like a persian rug. Then I looked at a professional grass tile and I thought I may aswell have blown my nose on my phone to produce similar results as my tile.

But you're right. Starting is the most important part :smiley:

start watching these:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+pixel+art

watch all of them!