How to make your characters look as if they were made of plastic

I use Adobe Photoshop CS6 Portable to make my characters. The problem is that I dont know how to make them look more of plastic, as a real cartoon. I made an alien but it looks more real, I want it to look more proper of a smartphone videogame, I dont know if you know what I mean.
Here is the pic:

I want it to look something like this:

By the way, do you thik I should try another tool for creating my characters? And which one for the backgrounds?
Than you

Comments

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    edited November 2014

@Luiscri‌

Theres a setting under Textures called Plastic Wrap that you can play with well I'm using Photoshop Elements.

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584

I would also take a look at graphic river.net under 'Add-ons' Photoshop, then search the textures, styles and actions for the style you want. Its very cheap too

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

• LuiscriLuiscri Member Posts: 40

@jigglybean Tell me more about this, Im new on it and I dont understand much of it. What do I have to do? What uses have the action, textures and styles?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited November 2014

• MalkovichMalkovich Member, PRO Posts: 116

You can play with Blending Options in PS (right click on your layer), put some bevel and emboss effect, add shadows, glows, or anything you want. This is an example:

Good luck.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Honestly, just look at some pictures of what you like and study how they work with texture highlights.

Photoshop Plastic Wrap is very fake in my opinion and also it's very clear what you did there.