State of GameSalad on 12-1-2014

ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

Hello again all you GameSalad fans and I hope everyone had wonderful Thanksgivings! :) I’ve gathered up some info to share with you guys, enjoy!

First I’d like to give some updates on a couple of the larger issues that have arose recently:

A. Memory issues with Yosemite. Updating your Mac to Version 10.10.1 should fix the memory issues that were happening with users who are using Yosemite. If you’re still experiencing issues after updating your Mac to version 10.10.1, please open a support ticket with us, and include steps to follow to make the memory grow.

B. Issues with RevMob and Google Play concerning Policy ID Violation. We have submitted a fix to our QA team and it should be available to you guys later on today or tomorrow.

Now on to the normal updates:

1. Release 12 for the Windows version of GameSalad Creator. We’re still working hard on getting the Windows version of Creator up to date with the Mac version. One such thing that was recently added is the loop behaviors.

2. Release 0.13.0. for the Mac version of Creator. Work is coming along on this and there is currently a nightly build out for you guys to check out the new features! For those who don’t know, a couple of the major additions that will come with release 13 are Facebook integration and the new rendering system.

3. New nightly build for the Mac version of Creator! As a lot of you have likely noticed, the new nightly build is out and ready for you guys to mess around with it! Feel free to grab a version of it here http://gamesalad.com/download/releases and check out this thread for more info and to report issues you may have http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/74406/nightly-build-0-13-1.

4. New nightly build for the Windows version of Creator. We’re hoping to have a new nightly build out for the Windows version of Creator within the next two weeks! A couple things that will be available in this build are some added behaviors and native preview!

5. New marketplace / website updates! Work on the marketplace is still being done, but I’ve heard our web guys are also working on updating other pages of the website as well. There will be new PRO and download pages in the near future! The support page was recently redone, check it out here: http://support.gamesalad.com/

6. GameSalad Game Jam 2014! The winners from the first Game Jam have been chosen and can be found along with more info in this thread: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/74411/game-jam-1-winners

7. Cross platform creator. Great progress as always, and I do remember a little birdy stating that you guys would get screenshots before the end of the year, which is rapidly approaching!

8. Playstogether. You guys should be able to mess around with Playstogether in the new nightly build that’s out for the Mac version of Creator! I’ve also heard that Steve J will be presenting a talk about how to use Playstogether with Creator at the January GameSalad monthly meetup.

9. GameSalad Monthly Meetup. Our December GameSalad meetup (being held tomorrow) will have a panel of Stephen Nichols (CodeWizard) and Alan Uthoff (BlackCloakGS) so try to attend online or in person if you have questions you’d like to ask them :) For more info check out this thread: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/73983/monthly-in-person-and-online-gamesalad-meetup-tuesday-december-2-at-7pm-cst-12-00am-gmt#latest

Alright, that’s all for this week. More info coming at you guys next week!

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Great work team!

@ForumNinja‌ said: Cross platform creator. Great progress as always, and I do remember a little birdy stating that you guys would get screenshots before the end of the year, which is rapidly approaching!

Wohoo!

• furthergamefurthergame Member Posts: 56

thanks for great work

• mau557mau557 Member Posts: 8

Great work.
    How is the fix for the Revmob - PlayStore Policy ID problem doing? When the fix arrives will you tell us how to implement it?

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

Can't wait to see the New Cross Platform Creator.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Has the table refresh issue with multiplayer been addressed? I can't wait to see the screenshots of the new software :#

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

Looking forward to tomorrow's online Meetup.

@ForumNinja‌ Are you attending live so we can see you? So far Alan is the only one prepared to really take the stage.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331
    edited December 2014

@ForumNinja said:
    A. Memory issues with Yosemite. Updating your Mac to Version 10.10.1 should fix the memory issues that were happening with users who are using Yosemite. If you’re still experiencing issues after updating your Mac to version 10.10.1, please open a support ticket with us, and include steps to follow to make the memory grow.

Assuming this refers to how after going into and out of actors/scenes a dozen or so times things start to really slow down and GS ends up using memory measure in gigabytes, I'll submit a ticket now then I guess :D

Edit: Ticket submitted! Here's the video I linked showing the problem. Love the new ticket submission system, btw!

• MalkovichMalkovich Member, PRO Posts: 116

Please excuse my ignorance but someone could explain me friendly which means "cross platform creator" and what things we benefit from, relative to the current version. I want to say Woohoo! like Braydon_SFX says, but i don´t known what this new feature means hahaha. Thanks in advance.

edited December 2014

@Malkovich said:
    Please excuse my ignorance but someone could explain me friendly which means "cross platform creator" and what things we benefit from, relative to the current version. I want to say Woohoo! like Braydon_SFX says, but i don´t known what this new feature means hahaha. Thanks in advance.

It's the next iteration of GameSalad that they're working on behind closed doors. A few teases as to incoming features have been given, but very little is publicly known about it so far. Essentially, they're re-writing GameSalad from scratch to address all the problems caused by the existing code base (which from what I understand the current developers inherited from the previous team), and writing it to be "cross-platform", meaning all the changes they make will be made to the Windows version at the same time as the Mac version.

There's been no ETA given yet.

They've actually publicly mentioned quite a few things that will be in it in yellow posts over the past few months, but I don't feel like rooting through to find them, sorry :D

I'm pretty sure @Braydon_SFX was woohooing the chance that everyone will get to take a look at what they've been working on within the next few weeks. Gets a woohoo from me too!

• MalkovichMalkovich Member, PRO Posts: 116

Thanks @Armelline‌ for your kind explanation. I now understand more clearly what it means. :)

• WebWarriorWebWarrior Member, PRO Posts: 62

@ForumNinja said:

There will be new PRO and download pages in the near future!

Minor correction: We now have a new Download page! My favorite new feature: the download won't start automatically until you click the Download button. Probably a minor change for most, but it certainly was a pain for our team to constantly have a dozen copies of the creator DMG in our downloads folder! :smiley:

@WebWarrior said:
    Minor correction: We now have a new Download page! My favorite new feature: the download won't start automatically until you click the Download button. Probably a minor change for most, but it certainly was a pain for our team to constantly have a dozen copies of the creator DMG in our downloads folder! :smiley:

I was really pleased to see the auto-download was stopped!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@WebWarrior said:

Love it! Yes, often I would show people where to download Creator. I'm pretty sure I've downloaded Creator at least a hundred times because of the auto download. It's good to see the automatic download is no more!