How to make people love your game in 90 seconds or less.

adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,069

I saw this on the Indie Game Dev facebook group:

http://www.slideshare.net/DoriAdar/how-to-make-people-love-your-game-in-90-seconds-ors-less

Anyone have good examples of what you do in your GS game to get people hooked quickly?

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited December 2014

@adent42 said:
    I saw this on the Indie Game Dev facebook group:

http://www.slideshare.net/DoriAdar/how-to-make-people-love-your-game-in-90-seconds-ors-less

Anyone have good examples of what you do in your GS game to get people hooked quickly?

Useful stuff, thanks for sharing, although we can't currently do push notifications the other two points were useful to know, I think most people were already somewhat aware of this kind of stuff but it's good to see it clearly laid out like this with actual numbers like 90 seconds to complete the initial loop.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

A small constant reward system can help users stay hooked on playing. I can't say more, the rest is a secret.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• jsorr2jsorr2 Member Posts: 279
    edited December 2014

Creating a sense of competitiveness is a must for me. If you'd notice, all top games have some sort of competitiveness inbuilt into them (Kim K., CoC, Candy Crush, etc., Pokemon even).

-Show casing that competitiveness and the idea that the player can impact every other play in the game (or show their friends of their feats) in the first minute of gameplay is where the addiction lies. Even if it's against an AI to begin with.

-Customization and uniqueness comes next, so as to instill the idea that somehow the person playing the game can create their own niche and be the best in the game.

-Then comes reward for them 'trying' to be unique (because in reality, they probably do the same thing as most other players). And reward for beating others or their own personal best.

-Then comes community and friendship (social networking/forums) to help keep the competitiveness alive, and also to bring new players to the game with a mindset to beat their friends (even if they aren't too fond of the game, they are still going to play it for awhile).

This is my observation and own personal attitude towards why I play games and think they're successful.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@adent42‌ Good points in the article, thanks. It also brought slideshare.net to my attention, I had not seen it before! :)

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    edited December 2014

Some good slides.

A bit off topic. But I've started to think that I'll enjoy may enjoy and finish Skyrim only after 8 hrs into the game. Now this game is in my top-10 games of all time.