App suspended Google Play

RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

Just went through the scary experience of having an app suspended by Google Play. This was their reason:

REASON FOR REMOVAL: Violation of the Impersonation or Deceptive Behavior provision of the Content Policy.
Products must not contain false or misleading information in any content, title, icon, description, or screenshots. Don't pretend to be someone else, and don't represent that your app is authorized by or produced by another company or organization if that is not the case.

The app had already been live for 6 months and had over 10,000 downloads along with a good rating. I had just redone all the artwork and was just submitting an update. The reason it was a scary experience is that it is so non specific and left me with no way to contact anyone or get any specific advice about how to fix the problem. The only option was to appeal which I did although I wanted to have the option to get advice and fix what was wrong (as if you fail your appeal that's the end of your app forever!). I have suddenly realised that as indie developers we are at the mercy of massive companies like Google who can take your six months worth of work and just trash it along with your store ranking, ratings, users and any reputation you have gained without giving you the chance to discuss it with anyone.

Luckily this morning I had an email saying that my app was reviewed and has been reinstated...massive relief!!! Although I feel like I've been knocked for six....just the thought of how close I was to losing all that work.

I have about 4 or 5 guesses as to what was wrong but still no definite advice, and as they have decided to reinstate it with no changes was it just a mistake?

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Up till now I have only published to Google Play. Do Apple treat their developers any better? I'm thinking of re-directing my efforts there instead.

If anyone's interested their is a petition started by another developer who's had a similar experience please take the time to sign it if you share the sentiment:
https://www.change.org/p/sergey-brin-respect-the-efforts-of-small-and-indie-android-developers

Thanks

Comments

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited December 2014

Yup.. agree with @beefy_clyro & we really need to see what the app in question is... before and after you made the changes/update to know whether Google were right or wrong in this instance.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

It's an app called Fart Radar (I know, childish and stupid...but I happen to like silly apps!). I clearly wrote in the app description (as I was trying to avoid any possibility of this kind of thing happening) that your mobile phone cannot really detect farts and that it is for entertainment purposes only. Maybe I should just start making more sensible apps... :(

Just to reiterate I did not make any changes before I appealed as I did not know what to change and they also did not give me the option. Basically they took another look at it and decided it was ok.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@strag‌ Sweet app, i like seeing non game apps made with gamesalad. But yeah, I'm guessing it got flagged for not actually detecting farts, maybe they didn't eat pizza that day...

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

@Lovejoy said:
    strag‌ Sweet app, i like seeing non game apps made with gamesalad. But yeah, I'm guessing it got flagged for not actually detecting farts, maybe they didn't eat pizza that day...

Thanks @‌Lovejoy
    I think Google just lost their sense of humour...

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

Though of Google Play Team is ''do what I say''

We complain about AppStore but GooglePlay is worst than AppStore.

I hadn't problem so far but I read a lot complaint about it.You can speak no one,just they say 'deal with it'

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

@onelasttime said:
    Though of Google Play Team is ''do what I say''

We complain about AppStore but GooglePlay is worst than AppStore.

I hadn't problem so far but I read a lot complaint about it.You can speak no one,just they say 'deal with it'

Not being able to contact anyone directly is the main frustration....is it different with the AppStore? Can you actually communicate with a human being?

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

@strag said:

I actually got it 3-4 times in one year.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390

Cant really see any reason for it to being rejected, someone just having a bad day by the looks of it!

@onelasttime said:
    I actually got it 3-4 times in one year.

@onelasttime Did they offer you any specific advice or where you left to your own devices to work it out? Did you manage to speak to anyone directly?

@beefy_clyro said:
    Cant really see any reason for it to being rejected, someone just having a bad day by the looks of it!

@beefy_clyro I think that's the conclusion I've come to. It's a bit worrying though as they said a record has been made of this incident and if it happens a few more times my account will be terminated for good. When you don't know what you did wrong that's really annoying!

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@strag‌ There is a reason why apple App Store is #1.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

edited December 2014

@Lovejoy said:
    strag‌ There is a reason why apple App Store is #1.

@Lovejoy Yes I think this was the kick up the backside I needed to get my head round publishing to the App Store :) That's my goal for the new year!

• evolappevolapp Member Posts: 1

my app "Ebook Downloader" was suspended. Google replied: "We may not allow users to buy/download any sexual contents books via Google Market."
    But my app does not have any thing related to sexual related material. You can check this out at: http://www.amazon.com/Evol-App-Ebook-Downloader/dp/B00LFIVRHG/

(P.S. more interestingly:
    If you search the keyword "sex" in google market, google works with book publisher to dilever many sexual contents books via Google Market, like
    https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Clélia_Lô_50_tips_om_sex_for_ham_og_henne?id=KfLkAAAAQBAJ)

Also, according to google play concept, "We may not allow users to buy/download any sexual contents books via Google Market.", this means all internet related app like firefox, chrome should all suspended, because they allows use to buy/download any sexual contents books via Google Market.

@evolapp Doesn't it drive you crazy! The lack of being able to speak to an actual human being doesn't help. I'm not sure how much of this is automated bots. It's certainly made me look at diversifying my publishing.

• FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970

Google Play has been on a spree of unnecessary and no recourse removals lately. Removed a few of mine without any way of getting it back. You write them, you just get an automated response. Normally they provide you a time frame of like a week to fix the perceived issue, but lately its just been immediate removals. Which they in turn decided because they instantly removed two of my apps that they should now just suspend my account. Which they did and once again, no recourse to get it back because there are no humans working there.

I used to think Apple was horrible in this regard, until I had to deal with the dictator Google.

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584

They are all as bad as each other. Amazon are a joke too. This is what happens when they control everything. The mobile market wouldnt even exist if it wasn't for the small indie developer who took it by the horns and made it happen.

How quickly they all forget. Now, they spend all their time kissing the arse of the larger publishers which will only end in tears.

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

Yes..I must admit it completely changed my opinion of Google. They offer such a friendly face as part of their marketing but will completely shaft you in an instant! And yes...I'm sure some of the others are just as bad.

• ZipfrazzleZipfrazzle Member Posts: 11

@FallacyStudios‌ what does it mean when they suspend your account? Can it be re-activated? Or is there no person to talk to or information about that either?

• FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970

I haven't been able to get it re-activated. Can't seem to get ahold of anyone for it anyways. Apparently, it's been a problem for a lot of developers. That's why this was made.

https://www.change.org/p/sergey-brin-respect-the-efforts-of-small-and-indie-android-developers?recruiter=185234841&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_content=small

• merrysailormerrysailor Member Posts: 1

Google refused to provide any additional details as to how my app violated its policy. This bums me out. Can you tell me how you wrote your appeal? All I got from Google was just automated bots, which didn't help at all.

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584

Google is just bots. No one will respond once an account has been suspended. I've had a few warnings over my Ratings, as all my games are and should be rated for everyone, but Google kept changing it to 'Low' maturity. No reasons, just a vague 'this is because x,y,z,a,b,c or it could be h,i,j with k or it could be - you get the picture.

None of my apps actually include anything listed so I am at a total loss why they do this.

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

Yes, in my experience it's a terrible service to developers.

• EbreezeEbreeze Member, PRO Posts: 481

geez, Google play is lame...just saying, ive heard so many of these suspension stories.

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited March 2015

jep had an app with 40 000 active installs suspended.

Google Store is not really in control of what they have created.
    Not reviewing your apps and suspending them as soon they get bigger.
    No direct contact, no chance to explain your side.

Apple does review their apps for a reason. And gives you time to change things.