How do I get the money to move with the character?

Applesauce NinjaApplesauce Ninja Member Posts: 13
edited December 2014 in Working with GS (PC)

I need help getting the money score ($) to move with the character. I am making a game similar to hill climb racing and the character works, so does the money. The scene is H-720 and W-10,000 if that helps. I know the $ needs to move on the x axis with the characters x axis. Can you leave a comment telling me how to do this?

Comments

• Applesauce NinjaApplesauce Ninja Member Posts: 13

The game is on my website, applesauceninja.moonfruit.com go to my games, then One-Wheel Drive. Not trying to advertise, just trying to get help.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

There are a couple of ways you could do this but the easiest is just to put a Display Text behavior in the actor and have it display the amount of money/score. You can offset the position by changing the x and y values relative to the actor in the Display Text behavior.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

That makes complete sense! Thank you!

@tatiang‌ Now that I try it, I'm not sure how to change the x and y of the display text behavior. Could you tell me exactly how to do this?

@tatiang‌ I have the character displaying the money/score but it's displaying it on the character. I'm not sure how to change the x and y of the display text behavior.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited December 2014

@Applesauce Ninja said:
    tatiang‌ I have the character displaying the money/score but it's displaying it on the character. I'm not sure how to change the x and y of the display text behavior.

I'm not sure whether the PC version of Creator has text position offsets as yet (?) but if it has simply enter a value other than 0.

edited December 2014

@Socks said:
    I'm not sure whether the PC version of Creator has text position offsets as yet (?) but if it has simply enter a value other than 0.

Pc version does not. What if I took my project and offset the text on a Mac gamesalad. Would the pc version work with it when I edit it in the pc version?

@Applesauce Ninja said:

Pc version does not. What if I took my project and offset the text on a Mac gamesalad. Would the pc version work with it when I edit it in the pc version?

No ! :smile:

If you simply want one actor to track the X position of another you can simply constrain the following actor's X position to the leading actor's X position using a constrain behaviour.

Ok I'll try it

edited December 2014

@Applesauce Ninja said:
    Ok I'll try it

Make a game.attribute ('real'), let's call it HeroX

. . . . . . . . . . . .

In the leading actor - place a constrain behaviour that reads:

Constrain HeroX to self.x

. . . . . . . . . . . .

In the following actor - place a constrain behaviour that reads:

Constrain self.x to HeroX

edited December 2014

@‌Socks This is what I've done:

Constrain Attribute
    constrain: self.position.x to: __________

What do I put in the second blank? Did I put the correct thing in the first blank?

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

It looks like in hill climb racing the money count is part of the GUI, if you are asking how to create a non-moving GUI for a scrolling game, this video might help:

@Applesauce Ninja said:
    @‌Socks This is what I've done:

Constrain Attribute
    constrain: self.position.x to: __________

What do I put in the second blank? Did I put the correct thing in the first blank?

Make a game.attribute ('real'), let's call it HeroX

. . . . . . . . . . . .

In the leading actor - place a constrain behaviour that reads:

Constrain HeroX to self.x

. . . . . . . . . . . .

In the following actor - place a constrain behaviour that reads:

Constrain self.x to HeroX

edited December 2014

@Socks @jamie_c‌ Thank you both, its working! Just have to do a little more work

• you could try constraining the position of the player XandY then have the health display move to the attribute it is constrained to

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@Stop Sign Studios Inc. said:
    you could try constraining the position of the player XandY then have the health display move to the attribute it is constrained to

That was already shown above.