Using Shortened Number Score?

SikkJewFroSikkJewFro Member Posts: 75
edited January 2015 in Working with GS (PC)

I am no fan of having a game that allows you to achieve a very high number of said score/item (In the quintillion+) and reading this long number can be difficult. I'm trying to figure out how to make it so that my score will display up until 999, then at 1000, have it display "1" and the text "thousand". Ive already figured out the whole, "changing text when number reaches next number set" however, I cant seem to figure out how to get my Shortened number to work properly. Also I should note, there will be a store which they can use these points in, so I need to make sure I have one integer counting towards their "real score" which needs to somehow work with my shortened version of that number. Any clue how to do this?

Comments

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

Are you using Display Text or a custom score? Also if your score is increasing by less than 1,000 after you reach 1 thousand how will a player see their correct score?

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078
    edited January 2015

How do you want it to show a score of say 1001?

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

@Lovejoy said:
    How do you want it to show a score of say 1001?

"1 thousand & 1" :)

@colander said:
    "1 thousand & 1" :)

haha trying to make sure cause i made a short demo.

• SikkJewFroSikkJewFro Member Posts: 75

In this case I would write out "1.001 Thousand" Until it hits 1 million ("1.000 MIllion") etc

So I guess for the thousands it may not be AS necessary however the higher numbers would make this much easier to read and understand.

@SikkJewFro said:
    So I guess for the thousands it may not be AS necessary however the higher numbers would make this much easier to read and understand.

Sorry i have a busy day today, i made this last night for you. Hopefully is what your looking for.

@Lovejoy
    It wont let me open the file, most likely because I'm using the windows version of Gamesalad, any way you could easily transfer the file to the windows platform?

edited January 2015

Just realized I posted to the wrong section, my apologies
    Update: Moved to Correct Section

@SikkJewFro‌ Not too sure how to convert it to a PC file, maybe someone else can recommend how to.

edited January 2015

These are the 3 rules i used to display the score.

First rule

if attibute game.score < or = to 999

Display text game.score

Second rule

If all apply

if attribute game.score > or = to 1000

If attribute game.score < or = to 999999

Display text (game.score/1000).." thousand"

Third Rule

If attribute game.score > or = to 1000000

Display text (game.score/1000000).. " million"

I also had a few buttons to add to the score to show how it looks, but I'm sure you can figure that out..

This will display it how you are asking for example 1.1 thousand or 2.4 million etc.

EDIT: A few screenshots

edited January 2015

I believe you can only change a project from PC to Mac and not the other way around.

@colander said:
    I believe you can only change a project from PC to Mac and not the other way around.

Well, hopefully my example helps him out.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Display Text floor(game.score/1000).." thousand & "..mod(game.score,1000).

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

Finally got a look back at the forums post, looks exactly like I was trying to achieve, thanks a whole lot @Lovejoy , Ill hop int gamesalad later on today and keep working on my project, thanks for helping me around the wall. :)

@SikkJewFro said:
    Finally got a look back at the forums post, looks exactly like I was trying to achieve, thanks a whole lot Lovejoy , Ill hop int gamesalad later on today and keep working on my project, thanks for helping me around the wall. :)

No problem :D