Art size

ok so iv just got GameSalad. Will someone please explain what size i create in my art in photoshop, so it will reach all iphones well. Is it 1920 x 1080?? I created a new project but how do I make the display size larger, currently I cant get it off the standard IPhone portrait size of 480 x 320. Sizes are very unexplained.

thankyou

Comments

• KillerPenguinStudiosKillerPenguinStudios Member Posts: 1,291

Hey @joelloyd‌,

Can't really give you the answer you are looking for as art is all different sizes based off BG's, objects in scene, player, etc. The one thing to note is if your developing for retina, you need to double the size of your images that you will have in your game. Say you want a box to be 100x100, in photoshop make it 200x200. Under "Project Info" keep "Resolution Independence" selected. This will automatically make your 200x200 box 100x100 but keeping it at the 200x200 resolution.

Secondly, to select the target device or size, under "Project Info" change the "Platform" to the target platform your wish to develop for!

• joelloydjoelloyd Member, PRO Posts: 119

I opened GameSalad and the default IPhone portrait is 480 x 320 yes? I want to create a game available to all iphones (what would be the best way tp dp this?). Does this mean I create my background at 1920 x 1080?

Under platforms I selected IPhone portrait, px size 480 x 320. Obviously when i drag in my background its going to be way too large because my black box in gamesalad is too small, how do i change the size of the box? I dont understand.

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

Go here and watch the video tutorials to get a basic understanding of GameSalad. It will save you a lot of time and get you on your way to developing your first game much quicker.

Once you know the basics the questions you have asked will answer themselves. The next thing you will need to know is what size to make your art for retina devices. As @KillerPenguinStudios said make all your art 2x as you go along. For now don't worry about this just watch the videos and it will all become much clearer.

watched them all and still didnt see anything on it.

IPhone 5 resolution is 1136 x 640, lets say im creating it for this.
    I open new project in gamesalad and choose IPhone portrait and the display size is 480 by 320.
    Do it create the background in 1136 x 640 and then scale it down in gamsalad?

I see people talking a lot about GS scaling down your art when you create a background in 1136 x 640 automatically. Everytime I import some art its always way too big, whats going wrong?

thanks

All I am asking is if you was creating a game for Iphone, what size would you make your art background? Iphone 6 size now? And then GS downscales if someone get it on an earlier phone?

The display in my gamesalad is constantly stuck on iphone 4 size, how do i change it?

thanks

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited January 2015

@joelloyd said:
    IPhone 5 resolution is 1136 x 640, lets say im creating it for this.
    I open new project in gamesalad and choose IPhone portrait and the display size is 480 by 320.

Why did you choose 'choose iPhone portrait' as your project size if you want to create a 1136 x 640 pixel iPhone 5 project ? Why not choose iPhone 5 as your project size ?

@joelloyd said:
    Do it create the background in 1136 x 640 and then scale it down in gam salad?

Yes, create the background at 1136 x 640 pixels, no you don't have to scale it down in ham salad, if you check 'Resolution Independence' all the scaling will be done for you.

@joelloyd said:
    I see people talking a lot about GS scaling down your art when you create a background in 1136 x 640 automatically.

Yep ! Make sure you have RI ('Resolution Independence') checked.

@joelloyd said:
    Everytime I import some art its always way too big, whats going wrong?

If I'm being honest, all these issues are caused by you not being familiar with how GameSalad works, if I were you I'd work my way through the ham salad Cookbook, there's a lot of very useful information there.

I must be missing something, I dont see the IPhone 5 in the platforms? Why is this may i ask, thankyou

@joelloyd said:
    I must be missing something, I dont see the IPhone 5 in the platforms?

Can you take a screenshot of your platforms menu ?

Ok, so you're on a PC, so I'll let someone else who uses the PC version weigh in on this. Good luck.

anyone else, obviously on Mac you just select Iphone 5 from the dropdown. How to do this for windows?

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610
    edited January 2015

The current stable version of windows creator is well out of date. They are right now updating it and there should be a stable version out soon. There is a Nightly Build but you have to be Pro to use it.

What you are seeing is legacy iPhone size so there is no iPhone 5 in it yet. If you made a full size background actor at 320x480 your art for retina devices needs to be 640x960. If you check Resolution Independence GS will create smaller images automatically for non retina devices. For example if an actor on the scene is 100x100 your art needs to be 200x200. Just 2x all your art for all your actors and you will be fine.

thankyou for the info