Saving progress

jbishop122jbishop122 Member Posts: 43
edited January 2015 in Working with GS (PC)

How do you save progress for an RPG game so that the player can close the app and get back on, starting where they stopped. Is this automatic, or is there a table or something?

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@jbishop122 said:
    Camera control isn't working for me . . . I put the control on my character, but nothing happens.

What where you expecting to happen ?

• jbishop122jbishop122 Member Posts: 43

I wanted the camera to move with my person in the preview

Ok I fixed the camera.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited January 2015

How do you save progress for an RPG game so that the player can close the app and get back on, starting where they stopped. Is this automatic, or is there a table or something?

I'll tackle this one. It is not automatic. GameSalad has no way of knowing whether your app is a painting app, a georgraphy quiz app, or an RPG app. So you have to decide what to save and what to load and how to have your app "initialize" itself based on the loaded data. Tables are best for this unless you only have a couple of attributes to save, in which case you can just as easily use Save Attribute and Load Attribute behaviors. If you aren't familiar with tables, start by Googling gamesalad tables and then gamesalad save or similar terms to see how to save the "state" of an app. It's not automated at all... you really have to plan out how to do it and how to make the app regenerate or restore everything properly.

Also, please use descriptive titles for your threads. I've changed this one for you.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

Is there a way to make sure the camera always focuses on the center of the character? my camera only moves when the character is at the edge of the screen.