GameSalad Game Jam #3 Winners! (UPDATED)

dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699
edited January 2015 in GameSalad Kitchen

UPDATE

Given the issues brought to our attention with some of the entries, we investigated a number of the entries and disqualified several games, including two games that had been winners of the sweepstakes drawing.

Those prizes were forfeited and those prizes were re-awarded based on a random drawing of the remaining eligible entries. The new winners have been contacted and the results blog has been updated.

For the Best of Show awards, Winter Has Come moves into 2nd, and the previous 4th place game, Xmas Presents From Santa, moves into 3rd place.

Thank you for your patience during this process, and special shout out to @Armelline once again for helping track down these entries.

Complete UPDATED list of winners is here.

View all the accepted entries here!

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

Comments

• PotatoesAppsPotatoesApps Member Posts: 53

OMG!!!! TEMPLATES WITHOUT A MODIFICATION!!!!!!

• Bad wolf GuyBad wolf Guy Member Posts: 206

As much as I love GameSalad the community. I don't think I have been more ashamed or embarrassed by those entries. It makes me sad :(

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited January 2015

At least 2 winners, who won or increased their chances of winning by posting/spamming un-altered templates... Taking 3 prizes away from the developers who entered the Jam in a honest way, and who put time and effort into their entries...

Surprising as well, as they're all well known templates :(

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078
    edited January 2015

Tisk tisk, congrats i guess. Hopefully the GS fixes this mess.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• PixelPoweredPixelPowered Member Posts: 9

I worked incredibly hard on my entry and I was really looking forward to at least getting some recognition. These winners used templates and I don't think it is fair to the people who submitted and worked for their games. I suggest GS does a re-draw.

• wolala123wolala123 Member Posts: 248

@Chunkypixels do u note that SubZer0 take 2 prize?pro and cash

• OskarDeveloperOskarDeveloper Member Posts: 533

:o

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

I am somewhat shocked. Either way I would like to congratulate the winners as well as those who entered the competition. :)

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

I have been an avid gamesalad user since 2011. I have not ever really used templates for my games. I think it would be a good idea for someone who is more familiar with what is a template and what isn't to create a list of what the legit games are and what the template games are. The GS team is probably trying to figure this out as soon as possible, and I think we can help!

• GamesforGoodGamesforGood Member Posts: 73

I can't believe my game didn't get accepted after all the hard work I had done. Disappointed in Gamesalad on this one. Well here's my little game of anyone wants to play it
    http://gsrca.de/127309

Gamesalad has let me down

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@GamesforGood said:
    I can't believe my game didn't get accepted after all the hard work I had done. Disappointed in Gamesalad on this one. Well here's my little game of anyone wants to play it
    http://gsrca.de/127309

Gamesalad has let me down

Didn't you submit that after the deadline?

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327
    edited January 2015

I thought there were significantly better games in each competition that didn't win, but this one really takes the cake :D I don't see any problem specifically with templates winning (it isn't against the rules) but it really speaks to either the quality of the entries or the time spent judging them.

Edit: I correct myself. The 2nd place winner did break the rules, as it was clearly stated the game must be created for the competition, and that one clearly was not.

• ClockClock Member Posts: 308

Haha... the second Winner posted DBA's template without any change. You should have change the art at lease.

-Submissions must be wholly original IP that do not violate the IP rights of any other holder.

@Armelline in the case of this specific game jam, it was definately against the rules...

The following points are taken directly from the rules:

Submissions must be new, previously unpublished work

Submissions must be wholly original IP that do not violate the IP rights of any other holder.

But agree with everything else you said :)

@Chunkypixels said:
    Armelline in the case of this specific game jam, it was definately against the rules...

The following points are taken directly from the rules:

Submissions must be new, previously unpublished work

Submissions must be wholly original IP that do not violate the IP rights of any other holder.

But agree with everything else you said :)

Yes, I remembered that shortly after I posted. My edit crossed with your post :D For that reason I believe the prize shouldn't go to DBA as you suggested in the other thread, but a new winner should be drawn (I just looked over the entries and there are better games anyway).

I noticed that there are other accepted entries that break the rules. Including one that won a cash prize. That person actually has multiple games, all of which break the rules as far as I can see. Flagrantly.

edited January 2015

My suggestion that the prizes should go to DBA rather than SubZer0 and the other prize winning cheater, was my first reaction, as it's all Darren and the DBA guys work that was submitted.. But yup, the rules do explicitly state that entries cannot be previously published works... So yup, they really need to redraw those prizes.

In total I see 21 of the entries that should be void... As they're either un-changed templates, templates with very minor changes, or previously published games. From what I can see its just 2 culprits responsible for the offending items...

On a slightly lighter note though, it was good to see (Wayne's?) Kenny the Cow template make an appearance after all these years... Always did like the character :)

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

Difficult situation.

It is unacceptable for entries that break the rules to win, as it would kill any interest in future jams.

On the other hand it is impossible for GS to have a complete overview of all templates out there.

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Don't forget its $10 per entry as well so all this pretty much falls under fraud.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

@Hopscotch said:
    Difficult situation.

It is unacceptable for entries that break the rules to win, as it would kill any interest in future jams.

On the other hand it is impossible for GS to have a complete overview of all templates out there.

Well, how many game salad markets you know? come on... checking 2 more is not imposible.. As you know.. there are only 2 more real markets for templates..
    And the "Free templates" are real news in the game salad world.. as the tapper game..

edited January 2015

@Chunkypixels said:
    In total I see 21 of the entries that should be void... As they're either un-changed templates, templates with very minor changes, or previously published games. From what I can see its just 2 culprits responsible for the offending items...

Yup. I never expected to win - I spent all day on a game I had to abandon due to a bug (in GS I believe) and what I entered was really not deserving of a prize. But having someone who only submitted rule-breaking games win a cash prize does get my goat a little :D Some of the screen shots even have "Remove IAP!" or copyrighted characters in them :D

And having someone who only entered templates win both the Pro AND the $1000 is... pretty damn annoying :D

I think... maybe.. can it be? That SubZer0 might be parented to some of the judges, :) 50/50? :# ;)

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

yea going forward after the jam ends they should have a day or two for everyone to go check out the entries and flag invalid ones. They can double check that list before picking the winners.

• MalkovichMalkovich Member, PRO Posts: 116

Congratulations to the winners (those who were honest and sent original games)...

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited January 2015

The-Great-GameSalad-Game-Jam-Scandal™ !!

• j75j75 Member, PRO Posts: 235

Kind of sad for those of us who actually spent 18 hours following the rules, creating a NEW game from scratch.

@jesse75 said:
    Kind of sad for those of us who actually spent 18 hours following the rules, creating a NEW game from scratch.

Yeah... This makes me sick

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

Hey folks,

As some of you have pointed out, there are literally thousands of templates out there and we're not going to be able to spot them instantly.

We certainly didn't realize SubZer0's entry was a republished template during the judging phase, but the rules are there for a reason :)

Thanks for letting us know -- I'm looking into it. Stay tuned.

Dan

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

Any plan to take action on those submitting previously published games and/or games that infringe the IP of others?

I don't actually care if the prizes are redrawn, I'm just big on people not being rewarded for breaking the rules :D