**The Ultimate Gamesalad Resource** Please Contribute!!

Hello Gamesalad Community!

I am here to let you all know about a special project that I am working on. I am seeking to make the Ultimate Gamesalad Resource Centre where users can search a problem they are having and find immediate help through FREE templates and tutorials hosted on our site. I need you, the GS Community to come along side and help to kick start this project. Please see below on how you can contribute.

Ways to Contribute:

1. Send all and any Template files you can to me via inbox or post them here on this thread

2. Compose written tutorials on GS topics that will be published to the site (send me a message for details)

3. Post or send me your video tutorials that you would like to appear on the site

4. Send or post any other resources that you think would be helpful to the community.

*Please include your name and GS username when you contribute so that I can credit you!

DISCLAIMER: None of the files that are contributed by the community will be sold or distributed for a profit. All content will remain 100% free to download and find on the site

As the content level increases and the site's development finishes up, I will announce the name of the site so that everyone can benefit from it.

I GREATLY appreciate all of you who contribute and I hope that this project benefits the community in a great way! :)

-MattButlerStudios

Comments

• zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738

Sounds like a good idea, but seems similar to some third party sites already out there, also I am not sure if it gives the provider an incentive to give to you over say GSHelper.

Just my opinions

• MattButlerStudiosMattButlerStudios Member Posts: 486

@zweg25‌ Thanks for the comment. My site features 100% FREE content. Essentially it could be all of the forum templates ever distributed in one single place. This would allow users to find what they need and know that it will be free.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332
    edited January 2015

I love the idea in principle. I've had several people contact me directly in the past proposing something like this and soliciting my templates to include on it. My response to them is the same as my questions to you:

1. Will the site be funded by adverts, either on the site or inserted into the templates/tutorials?

2. Will the site itself be of a sufficiently professional quality?

3. Will there be careful moderation to ensure low quality templates and/or tutorials are not posted?

4. What rights would I be giving you if I sent you my content? Would I reserve the right to withdraw it at any time, and would I be dependent on you to do that or have the facility to add/remove stuff myself?

5. What protections will be put in place to stop people using the site as an advert for their commercial ventures? (i.e. People posting "free" templates plastered with links to their commercial offerings.)

6. Will any kind of sign in be required to view or download things?

I'd love to be involved, but my interest will depend on the answers to these questions :D

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Great questions, @Armelline. Thanks for raising those.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Interesting idea, im sure many will want to contribute. @Armelline does bring up some good points to consider.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

Also to add to @Armelline list what would happen to the site and the content if at some point in the future you lose interest for any reason and decided you no longer wanted to host it?

@Armelline‌ @tatiang‌ @AlchimiaStudios‌ @colander‌

Thank you all for your questions and comments regarding the site. I encourage you to leave more questions that you may have and I will answer them as best as I can. In response to the previous questions asked:

@Armelline‌

1. Will the site be funded by adverts, either on the site or inserted into the templates/tutorials?

The site will be funded by advertisements. I don't think that there is a problem with this since the site will be offering 100% free content and there has to be some sort of way to pay for hosting fees and such. The location of the advertisements will depend on the content. Mainly I was thinking sidebar ads and possibly some other ads posted within the site. I do not want the ads to overwhelm the page and I don't want them to mess with the content being consumed. I think that users will be fine with seeing ads, because most of us (as developers) understand their purpose and the reason that they are there. So really to answer your question directly, most (if not all) all of the pages on the site will show some sort of ad, but the ads will serve their purpose and not "disturb" the page.

1. Will the site itself be of a sufficiently professional quality?

In order to have a successful site, it must look professional and promising to potential users. It is one of my goals to make this site look as sleek and professional as possible to ensure that it is taken seriously by the community and all potential prospects that may stumble upon it. I have built the site using Wordpress and have registered a .COM domain which will allow for good SEO. One of my main goals is the look of the site, so I will do my best to ensure that it is pleasing to the eye and to search engines!

1. Will there be careful moderation to ensure low quality templates and/or tutorials are not posted?

The goal of this site is to provide a large amount of QUALITY content that can be enjoyed by all users for absolutely no cost. The reason I reached out to the community, is because I knew that I could not do all of this myself. There is way too much quality content in the forums to let it all sit and rarely ever be discovered again. The beauty of this site is that it will constantly get updated. As people make new templates, more will be added to the site and more will become available to people who need help. Since so many people make good templates and content, there has to be a central place (this site) where it can all be stored and accessed when needed. No more trying to find that template or the person who made it. Now back to the heart of the question. Although I want quantity, I will not settle for poor quality. All things submitted will go through a screening process that ensures they are of good quality. I will personally check the tutorial out and then upload the asset to my site. This ensures that assets are not just uploaded without my moderation, and it also helps for me to have an understanding of what is exactly on the site.

1. What rights would I be giving you if I sent you my content? Would I reserve the right to withdraw it at any time, and would I be dependent on you to do that or have the facility to add/remove stuff myself?

When you submit your content to the site, you will hold all rights to you work. This means that you can have your asset pulled at any time, and you can edit/change parts of it upon request. When uploading assets you have to agree to a set of terms which basically state your rights to the content and the fact that anyone can download it. Again, you will always be the owner of your content and your name will be with what you submit. Think of this site as "showcasing" you!

1. What protections will be put in place to stop people using the site as an advert for their commercial ventures? (i.e. People posting "free" templates plastered with links to their commercial offerings.)

Again you can refer back to the moderation that will be in place. I will allow those who submit to add their own image, title, description, etc.. Since I will be the one making each download page, I will personally ensure that no spam or excessive links will be present. I will only allow what is acceptable such as a simple link to the creators site for attribution.

1. Will any kind of sign in be required to view or download things?

I believe that a large annoyance of some other sites is the fact that you have to sign in and create an account just to download a free asset. On this site you can simply search for what you need and hit the download button. It's that simple! I want this to be a seamless process that is just like going into your own personal library of information.

@colander‌

What would happen to the site and the content if at some point in the future you lose interest for any reason and decided you no longer wanted to host it?

If this were to happen, I would most likely sell the site in which the assets would go along with it. I would not technically be selling the assets, but the involvement and ad traffic that goes to the site. However, this really isn't an issue since I have other sites I need to keep up so this site would just be part of the hosting I already have. In other words, I would keep this site up unless it seriously went down under and if there was barely any involvement. Please don't worry about this issue as it really doesn't pertain at the time. Just know that I will keep the site up unless there is no use for it any more. Hope that answers your question.

@Armelline‌ I encourage you and other to seriously consider giving large amounts of assets to this site. Your guys support could really make or break whether this site makes it and I would love for the community to have this spectacular resource. My goal is to get substantial content on the site before it is released to ensure that people have things to download. Also, if you would like to make a written tutorial with pictures and paragraphs that is also on the table. I am writing a page describing the functions in Gamesalad that has each function listed out and some examples. Things like this also make for great content and it allows for it to be distributed in a different way than how it is usually consumed.

Once again thank you all for the discussions and I hope that we can as a whole make this site something that will GREATLY benefit the GS community!

Feel free to keep the questions rolling!

-MattButlerStudios

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    edited January 2015

I like the idea of a site with all the free stuff there is or has been posted on the forums that were free...AND of good quality. Someone actually moderating assetts would be a first so I like that idea. I woukd love to provide a few templates to be "verified" as quality and have them up for display somewhere.

Thanks for the post. I hooe it comes through for you and US as a community.

A question @MattButlerStudios‌

My publishing tutorials...do you want the raw files...they are near 10gigs total as they are full HD...or would links to the youtube be ok? Id like to submit those.

@Thunder_Child‌ I'm glad that you like the idea and see its potential. I think it would be best to have the YouTube link since I can easily link it to the site and also at the same time link your channel. If you think that the full HD videos serve you better you could definitely give me those, but its really up to you.

Thanks again, Matt

Sounds promising, I'll see what I can contribute and how it shapes up.

@Armelline‌ Thanks for your interest. Feel free to send me files at any time.

I appreciated your responses, @MattButlerStudios‌. Yesterday I was thinking that it might be good to put all of the Spare Code thread demos in one place and considered doing it myself but... since you're stepping up to the plate... :)

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

@tatiang‌ Yes! That is the holy grail of templates! :) However, would I be legally able to put those on my site without letting the owners know. Also, I considered have a page on my site that lists good forum threads that are worth checking out. Just another thought of mine.

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

@tatiang someone started doing the spare code demos here they got as far as page 8. I can't remember who it was.

I really think channeling all of the great GS tutorials into a single place will be a huge help to all of us. It'll just be a massive knowledge-base! :)

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@colander said:
    tatiang someone started doing the spare code demos here they got as far as page 8. I can't remember who it was.

That would have been @Armelline‌

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Best of luck to you @MattButlerStudios‌ , if you manage to pull this off it will be a huge asset to the community.
    On another note, not sure i like uncle sam pointing at me, been there done that... :p

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

@Lovejoy‌ Thanks! I am very excited for this project and I hope that it does well. As for Uncle Sam, he just fit in with the line I wanted to use :wink: haha!

@Braydon_SFX said:
    That would have been Armelline‌

Sadly after getting to page 8 or 9 or so I became massively busier, and haven't worked on it much recently. I hope to get through the rest soon enough though!

@Armeline do you mind if I use all of those templates for my site? I know you don't own them all but I would love to use your spreadsheet as a reference.

@MattButlerStudios said:
    Armeline do you mind if I use all of those templates for my site? I know you don't own them all but I would love to use your spreadsheet as a reference.

I can't give you permission to use the templates as the vast majority aren't mine, but you're perfectly free to use the spreadsheet etc. if it helps. I'm sure most people would be happy for you to use their contributions, but since your site is ad funded (and therefore potentially profitable) I don't think you can presume the right to use them. In the first 8 pages there were only a handful of different contributors, though, so it shouldn't be hard for you to contact them to ask for permission.

@MattButlerStudios‌ I imagine @Armelline posted those links because they were publicly available and a Google Doc is pretty innocuous. When you move to a model that includes a revenue stream (advertising is still revenue) I think you need to ask each individual contributor about permission to use their assets. You're welcome to include anything I've posted on the forums provided the answers you've given above remain in place.

@Armelline‌ @tatiang‌ Thanks guys, I will ask for permission before I use the templates. Also, thank you @tatiang‌, I will be sure to credit you for your work as well!

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

@MattButlerStudios‌

I feel the videos look pretty good via YouTube and so to reduce file storage I'll send the links. I'll provide them in the order as they are on YouTube and ask that they are provided like that on the site for best viewing as they are a series of tutorials. :smile:

@Thunder_Child‌ I will make sure that happens. Thank you very much for your contributions!

• floatingwoofloatingwoo Los Angeles, Calif.Member Posts: 393

Great Idea, I've been collecting templets off the forum since I started . Heres the rub though. When I started doing this I would just toss the templets into a file but I found that as time went by that unless the templets were labeled well, I wasn't quite sure what some of them were for. So I started putting a note into the templet that explained what the original thread question was and what the templet was trying to show.
    Over time I realized that I needed a reference to the original thread because it had much more info as to the problem. If there were a way to do this it would be much more effective. Thanks for taking it on.

• floatingwoofloatingwoo Los Angeles, Calif.Member Posts: 393

I was thinking you were talking about the little demos that people were posting on the forum.

@floatingwoo‌ Thanks for the comment. I will be adding concept tutorials as well as small issue fixes that can be found in the forums. I am not 100% sure on how I will organize them yet, but that is the gist of it.

• bjandthekatzbjandthekatz Orlando, FlMember Posts: 1,375

I will make a few tutorials and upload a few of my templates to help.