Release Candidate 0.12.17 is available!

BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

Fixes:

• Fixed an issue that was causing submitted iOS apps to get rejected for not adhering to the new iOS Data Storage guidelines. Please re-generate any iOS apps with this build to fix the issue.
  • Fixed "Revert To Saved" causing UI elements to disappear in Creator.

Known Issues:

• Using the Home button may not release all of the memory used from the Scene Editor or Preview. Pressing the back button will resolve this issue.

Report Any Bugs
If you find bugs in the Release Candidate, let us know! We'll be watching the forums, support tickets and bug database for info on this. Once we're all happy with the state of the build then we'll make it stable.

Take a moment to review the "known issues" section of the release notes before reporting any bugs. No need to duplicate reports on what we already know, right?

Thanks for your help!

Go Get It!

See the release notes here:

http://gamesalad.com/download/releaseNotes/creator/rc

Download the release candidate here:

http://gamesalad.com/download/releases

Scroll down until you see "Release Candidates

Comments

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited January 2015

Thanks @BlackCloakGS‌, installed and will give it a try on one of my apps that are going out.
    Anything specific that triggered the Storage problem? Table or Attribute saving?

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

Thank you! I will test it out. :)

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

Thank u, Any updates on 64bit support ?

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

We are working on it as fast as we can.

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

@BlackCloakGS Thanks,i was worried because only 2 weeks left for deadline .

• PotatoesAppsPotatoesApps Member Posts: 53

Mach go! Go! Go!

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited January 2015

Haven't been unsing Gamesalad for a few months. After just a few minutes of working with this RC (and the last one too) everything slows down to the point where opening an actor takes 5-10 seconds. That's unusable for me and my mac isn't even that old. And just to be clear - this is happening in a completely new project... I won't even try to open my unfinshed games with tons of actors, rules and behaviors.

So the only way to work on a project in GameSalad is to restart the creator every 3-5 minutes or so... that's completely bonkers for software costing 300$/year.

I hope I'm not the only one experiencing this and seeing it this way.

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

@Hoodloc‌

We've explained why this is now suddenly happening in other threads, but like many issues lately, it's just a part of living in the Apple ecosystem and being subject to their roadmap. We address these things as quickly as we can, but they're non-trivial changes and the scope of what GameSalad supports is pretty huge for that $300 a year.

Obviously we feel that the PRO membership remains a great value, and if anything, I would say these architecture and policy changes only underscore how much work we're doing so that you don't have to, but if you have concerns about your membership, please PM me privately and we'll work something out.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    edited January 2015

Never mind I see a bug report.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@BlackCloakGS said:

Fixed an issue that was causing submitted iOS apps to get rejected for not adhering to the new iOS Data Storage guidelines. Please re-generate any iOS apps with this build to fix the issue.

Does this mean that if I submit two updates built with 0.12.10 stable they will probably get rejected?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited January 2015

@Hoodloc said:
    So the only way to work on a project in GameSalad is to restart the creator every 3-5 minutes or so... that's completely bonkers for software costing 300$/year.

Not at all, you can simply use the current stable build. Release candidates are for previewing new features and weeding out bugs.

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited January 2015

@dgackey Thank you for your anwser. My comment might have sound harsher than i wanted it to. I really like GS and I will continue to use it, there's no need to discuss anything. ;) I just found it irritating that these issues still exist (or are even more prevalent than i was used to some months ago).

@Socks Yes, you're right. Is this issue completely absent in the stable build? I've noticed that the last stable build is nearly 3 months old which was the main reason for me to jump directly to the RC.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

The issue is least present in the RC. If I avoid the home button I get 30+ minutes out of it, which is as good as any build of GS I've used.

@Armelline said:
    The issue is least present in the RC. If I avoid the home button I get 30+ minutes out of it, which is as good as any build of GS I've used.

Which OS are you using ?

@Armelline said:
    Yosemite.

Yes, Creator seems to struggle with garbage collection on Yosemite, so for Hoodloc I'd recommend the current stable release along with Mavericks.

@Socks said:
    Yes, Creator seems to struggle with garbage collection on Yosemite, so for Hoodloc I'd recommend the current stable release along with Mavericks.

If you're on Yosemite, the current stable is far worse than the current RC.

@Armelline said:
    If you're on Yosemite, the current stable is far worse than the current RC.

That's why I'd recommend the current stable build and Mavericks.

@Socks said:
    That's why I'd recommend the current stable build and Mavericks.

I never contradicted that :D But if you're on Yosemite, you want the RC.

• clee2005clee2005 http://Donkeysoft.caMember, PRO Posts: 194

Hey @BlackCloakGS‌ will you be able to fix bug 498 (issue with Chartboost ads crashing the app when clicked more than once to close) for the next release? Makes the app seem very unstable and leads to bad reviews.

@Armelline said:
    I never contradicted that :D But if you're on Yosemite, you want the RC.

Good point !

So if on Yosemite go with the RC, otherwise downgrade to Mavericks.

@Socks said:
    So if on Yosemite go with the RC, otherwise downgrade to Mavericks.

It's annoying, as I hated Yosemite at first but now I'm used to it and I'm old enough that I find change scary.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited January 2015

@BlackCloakGS‌

I know you're working flat out, so I guess you didn't notice my question above, repeated below.

@BlackCloakGS said:

Fixed an issue that was causing submitted iOS apps to get rejected for not adhering to the new iOS Data Storage guidelines. Please re-generate any iOS apps with this build to fix the issue.

Does this mean that if I submit two updates built with 0.12.10 stable they will probably get rejected?

Should I wait for 0.13.0 stable?

• silverducksilverduck Member, PRO Posts: 20

My game is 99.9% done. So Editor issues haven't been devastating for me, but the game does seem to run fine through the editor.

The real problems I'm having are when I'm playing the game on my iPhone 4 (I believe running iOS7.1.2). Also, I published with the minimum iOS set to 5.0 (as low as possible).
    While playing on my iPhone...
    -At least two of my image assets are displayed as much darker than they should be.
    -One of my music files refuses to play. There seems to just be silence until it is time to play a different track.
    -After playing for a while, there were times where the game slowed down noticeably, froze momentarily and then resumed at a good framerate... but having lost all sound effects.
    -After continuing to play, the same slowdown freeze happened again, except this time, it was the music that was lost afterwards (so now the game was completely silent).
    -Even later, the game seemed to crash when I wasn't looking. I believe it was during a scene change and after the game had already thrown both the sound FX and music overboard.

These all sound like they should be my fault, but like I said this was only when playing on my device.

I would also like to add though, that when the game IS running well, it is running very well. Older versions of GameSalad simply couldn't handle my game most of the time.

So does this all sound completely crazy? Are there simple fixes in the build settings I should try? Does it all make perfect sense? All of the above?

I'll be working to recreate these errors.

• ChechesoftChechesoft Member, PRO Posts: 171
    edited January 2015

Edited...

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

Im curious...so I can learn...why was 12 considered a stable release? Why does it freeze or crash...or drag to a stop after 15 minutes...why does it freeze when I add an image from file...why does it maybe not freeze but not show the image...whay does code just suddenly disappear? Why was I recommended to install the release candidate only for it to over right my "stable" creator and then a warning pops up to not use this for production? Why have these issues been around for over a year? Why is the sky blue?

Can we get some sort of hot fix of existing issues that actually are stable? I probably sound like an ass but we..."we"...need what you have currently fixed and "I" ask that you stop production on any new features until its done. Its not some ultimatum Im demanding...Im asking for a actual stable release. Please. I have forced quit GS 50 or more times this week and Im not just saying that...i have at least that many times. Do you ever test your software on Macs other than the mega macs you all probably have? Do you test on common macs that are at least a year or two old. You shoukd ask for beta testers. Thats what us developers do before we release an app.

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

@Thunder_Child said: You shoukd ask for beta testers. Thats what us developers do before we release an app.

It is beta software and we are the beta testers :).

edited January 2015

@colander‌

Lol. I mean beta testers before a stable release not a release candidate...something we are suppose to be able to produce with. I would never sell an app that I did not test and found that you cant finah the game without it crashing or lagging so hard to app closes...push start and the doesnt start...surely my post didnt sound that dumb. Maybe it did that would be embarrasing. :'(

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

@Thunder_Child‌ what version of creator are you using ? What OS version? Do you use the home toolbar button?

edited January 2015

@BlackCloakGS said:
    Thunder_Child‌ what version of creator are you using ? What OS version? Do you use the home toolbar button?

Im using V0.12.10 creator for Mac on a Macbook Air 2013 13", Yosemite.

When I open GS I open it directly by double clicking the project file. I rarely open GS from the dock...then open file from the GS "toolbar" if thats what your refering to.

Oh wait. Yes occasionally when I finsih doing some editing I will click the home button which brings me to the view where I typically have Actors selected as my default. I then always save my project at that moment religiously becasue of the crashes.